Tank Temp off my chart

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ScubaBrett22, Apr 29, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

The normal tank temp in my Biocube is 76.0 its 79.4 is there anyway to cool it down i have a automatic heater that is green which mean water temp is fine but something seems wrong....

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That isn't that high of a temp compared to the temp on a reef. Aim your circulation flow to agitate the surface heavily. If that doesn't lower it enough for you the use a fan across the top of the tank to cool it. Buy another heater to see if your current one has bit the dust.

4. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

you might put a fan on it. just having the ceiling fan on in the same room as my aquarium will drop the temp by 1/2 a degree.

5. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

yup and i removed the filter floss to allow more oxygen to flow in the water and have the top off so it can release some heat.

6. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

79.4 is not that high...just keep an eye on that heater.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I always have 2 heaters in my tank for this reason. To make sure I have one as a back-up in-case one doesn't maintain proper temp, or suddenly fails. They will balance each other out, maintaining your desired temp when set on both of them. 2 in 10 is right though. 76 isn't all that warm. I would try to keep a reef between the temp of 78-81 degrees. I maintain mine at 80.6 degrees. I use a marine stealth heater, it works great, keeping my constant water temp. between 79.2 and 80.6 degrees F.

8. Click Here!

9. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

it just went up to 80.0...... ughs

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Yank the heater and replace it. Also check your thermometer to make sure it has gone bad.

11. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So why do you keep your tank at 76? That's pretty cold.

A fan will do wonders. If you are that worried, get some ice water in a SEALED container and drop it in your tank. Won't take much for a nano.

So do you believe the temp? Does it feel warm? Do you have another thermometer to cross check it?

12. ScubaBrett22

ScubaBrett22 Fire Shrimp

the heater is automatic and its green saying its not heating and its not warm and i turned off the thermometer oh the lights are all off guys forgot to throw that out there.