Resolved Tank temp high for no reason

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DBOSHIBBY, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Oh another thing I noticed when someone else was talking about there itemp probe, I check mine with another temperature reader and saw a discrepancy. So I recalibrated the itemp thinking the probe was way off. I checked with something else and it was different still. Then for some reason I shook the probe a little and temp dropped almost 2 degrees. Must have had some gunk built up in it after 2 years of use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Hydronaut

Hydronaut Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

A Mag9.5 plus a skimmer running could easily raise your tank temp 3 degrees above ambient. Also, I believe Danner Mag Drive pumps are not very efficient and therefore put off more heat than other brands.

For comparison:
    *Danner Mag 9.5 - 950gph, 93 watts
    *OuietOne 4000 - 997gph, 65watts
    *Sicce Syncra 4.00 - 951gph, 85 watts
    *Eheim 1262 - 900gph, 80 watts
    *Eheim Compact+ 5000 - 1320gph, 86watts
    *Octopus Water Blaster HY7000W - 1300gph, 60 watts (claimed 97% efficiency)

In fact, Danner Mag Drives may be the least efficient mid-high end in sump pumps currently on the market. Personally I run an Eheim Compact+ 3000 on my Solana and 2x QuietOne 4000s on my 125.

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

if the pump is working correctly it is fine. it has been for months. ill check that when i get home. ill also check the i temp again too. hope when i get home it is at a ok level.

5. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

my temp for my RKE is INACCURATE!

You do need to calibrate them monthly. I have a seperate temperature controller that has been checked against a digital thermometer several times. never sways and is 1005 accurate for me so far. the other day, I noticed that my temps were different. the RKE was reading .5 degrees too high. I re-adjusted it down and also adjusted its location.

i would check it against a good glass or digital thermometer. you may be surprised.

to recalibrate, you push the in button, then go to your SL it is connected to and you can then click on the temp. set to the set point and then wait for level to stabilize then save.

edit.. sorry those instructions were for the RKE not the RKL. you will find your adjustment under the head unit module.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

Update. Tank is 82.6
    I checked the mag pump and its not even warm to the touch in the sump. Heater is off. I unplugged the itemp and plugged it back in and cleaned it and it reads the same.
    I read on the da forum on reefcentral they say do not calibrate the probe, so I'm lost.

Only thing I can think of is I haven't had the ac on and maybe the ambient room temp at 78-80 was overheating the tank. I usually keep it at 72.

7. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That could do it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Well I think you might have solved your own mystery.

10. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

I hope. Flipped the ac on and watching the temp. I'll see what happens.

11. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

temp went down to 80. i guess the temp of the house made it go up. learned my lesson.
    Thanks for the advice.

12. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

DBOSHIBBY, you still may want to check the accuracy of that probe with a digital thermometer. and yes, like any probe you should calibrate it to the reading equipment.