Resolved Tank temp high for no reason

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by DBOSHIBBY, Aug 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i went home on lunch and my tank temp was 84!?!
    i have my heater set up on my RKL so its not that. (even double checked the programming on it to make sure it was still normal)

My tank is constant 80-80.2 all day and night. even with my halides on it doesnt go past 80.2 because i have the fans.
    the room temp is 77 right now so that cant be it either.
    my mag 9.5 return pump is only 6 months old so i doubt its that.

i dont know whats causing it to spike like this.
    someone help!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

Check your thermometer with another?

Pump might be relatively new but that doesn't mean it is completely resistant to failure.

4. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i trust the RKL temp probe more than any other temp gauge i have.
    how do i see if the mag pump is letting out excess heat?

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

When was the last time you calibrated it? Maybe perhaps the heater locked up. It does sometimes happen.

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i dont believe you have to calibrate the temp probe for the RKL?? even if the heater stuck on i have the RKL turn it off at 80. so the heater has no power to it right now.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Either your temp reading is incorrect or you have a piece of equipment failing.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

My mag24 was adding like 4° to my tank temp and it wasn't even underwater...I understand its a much larger pump but its still a possibility.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. rlman41299

rlman41299 Skunk Shrimp

that happened to me one time and everything was in check. found out that the return pump was not returning the usual amount of water in the display so i had a hunch that it was seizing and not turning the way it is supposed to so generating extra heat. it was also humming a bit than usual.
    i tried to turn it off and on a couple of times and the hum went away and the pump was running the way it is supposed to. in a couple of hours my temp went down.
    just a thought

1 person likes this.
  11. Pastey

Pastey Ritteri Anemone

There is never a guarantee that a probe can't fail. It's just less likely with certain brands. It never hurts to have a back-up to double check. to check the pump, you could maybe try an infrared thermometer on the pump itself or put your temp. probe near where the water returns to the tank? I'm not sure what kind of equipment you have at your disposal.

12. cdc

cdc Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Both rio pumps in my tank heat the water if I put my hand on them I can feel the heat coming from them, I can't get my temp under 84 due to the pumps and the hot weather.