Tank Stand for 4 55gallon tanks

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by AquaticZen, Jul 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. AquaticZen

AquaticZen Astrea Snail

Hi Everyone,
    I want to build a large stand that will house 4 55 gallon tanks. My girlfriend is moving in in about a month and I need to make some room so I figured it'd be best to consolidate all of my freshwater tanganyikan cichlid tanks. I've got several breeding pairs and I figure I can divide the 55gallon tanks into two and house a breeding pair on each side.

I've designed something and I drew it up using google sketchup. I've never built a stand this large before and I figured someone else around here must have done it. Do you think this stand will be strong enough? I plan to put the tanks in from the side as I don't have enough room for the stand to be long enough to install them from the front. I will probably plumb them all into a large sump on the floor and I'll use the two shelves to house the aquariums.

If you need another view from sketchup I can get you another angle. This is the first time I've used sketchup, I hope I got meaningful screenshots.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Looks strong enough, and awesome sketches! I take it they are standard 2X4's, right?
    The only thing I would suggest, is that because it is so tall, is to make provisions and plan ahead to actually secure it to the beams in a wall. It will be pretty top heavy and could tip over a lot easier than a normal set-up due to the height.

4. AquaticZen

AquaticZen Astrea Snail

Thanks Packleader,
    Yes, they're standard 2x4s. I'm definitely planning on securing it to the wall in the garage that it will be placed against. I figured it would be strong enough but I do appreciate the second opinion. The sketches are easy with google sketchup. I encourage anyone who hasn't tried it to give it a go on their next building plan. It makes designing the thing much easier. I was able to figure out mistakes in my original design easily before I cut the wood to length already.

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You could also just make your girlfriend sleep on the couch if she is going to take up more room than the tanks. They were there before her, right? I mean, lets get our priorities clear here. There my be no need to go do anything rash and start building things. ;) :p

6. AquaticZen

AquaticZen Astrea Snail

Hahah, that's one way of going about it. But I'm lucky that she doesn't mind all the money I spend on tanks instead of her so I can accommodate the space issues by building a rack for the tanks. Afterall, one of the reasons I'm building it is that I have 2 of these 55gals at her apartment right now, so they'll need some place to go. And now that I've caught the reef bug, the freshwater tanks can go in the garage to make room in the living room for my new 150 gal reef setup :)

7. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

I like the design. The only thing I wuld change is to place the cross members virtically similar to the way floor joists are set. The 2 inch side is up and the 4 inch side is, well on the side. You will get better strength out of the wood that way.