Tank Stand Build!

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by brew0688, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

CHECK OUT THE LAST PAGE FOR SOME NEW PICS. IT'S ALMOST FINISHED!

So credit for this simple yet awesome design goes to Augustim. I based this on his build.

Please don't be overly critical, I just broke my collar bone, so I've been working like a cripple all day. :p

It's just the start, and there are still a few things I need to do to it.

I woke up this morning and decided I wouldn't stop until I was done with the basic frame.

I've been looking for a used 75 gallon tank and stand on Craigslist for a few weeks, but no luck. I figured if I build the stand myself, I can buy the tank new with an overflow.

Total cost for today: $65.95. Not too bad.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. s76rick

s76rick Flamingo Tongue

Looks good. Solid.

4. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

thats the same design i have built and am very happy with it:

[​IMG]

just make sur to secure it with rust resistant screws or nails LOL

5. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

have u been checking other cities in FL too? it may be worth the drive...i drove all the way from Tallahassee to Gainesville to get my tank from CL

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

It looks great. But I would suggest adding a2X4 to the outer-side of each vertical piece(leg). This will strengthen the end, as right now, it is only supported by nails/screws.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I don't understand why you did not use 2x6 boards for the full length of the inner supports. There is no real purpose or use for them since all weight will still be on the outer legs. I would make them the full height of the stand for added support and integrity.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

I build mine like thet minus the brackets in the corners and its a monster lol weighs around 150 lbs and supported around 700 Lbs on the stress test at my house LOL :)

10. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Thanks! If you look at the second picture, you'll notice how it's more than just screws holding the supports in place. There is a 2X6 that runs the length of the inside profile, and then a shorter one screwed to it that supports the weight of the top portion of the stand. (I wish I could use gestures right now. Lol.) I did exactly as you suggested before I posted this, but I didn't take a picture of it again. I'll post another one tomorrow. ;)

I plan on having a pretty large sump underneath, so that would be impossible. I may add addition vertical braces to the middle, but space is an issue.

That's awesome to hear! Did you have any trouble with leveling?

11. rc_mcwaters3

yes and i belive thats it had somthing to do with the screws but once I skinned it and stained it really helped also try and use shims to help level it out. and it might be longer than yours its only 48x34x20 I over sized the bottom for my 55 galllon sump. What dimensions are yours?

12. brew0688

brew0688 Fire Shrimp

Good Idea. I'm definitely going to do a test run outside to make sure it doesn't crack the base of the tank. I'm definitely going to take my time with it.

I made mine 50x20, and 32 high. I want to make a small recession to place the tank in.

Do you have a pic of yours?