Urgent Tank Sprung a Leak!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PierceEye, Aug 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PierceEye

PierceEye Aiptasia Anemone

Ok so my 65 sprung a leak somewhere on the bottom as the water is coming out from between the base frame and the exterior of the glass......

So New Tank time......

My question is when I put the fish and critters in a tub can I use an airstone and a powerhead or is an airstone alone ok and for how long can I do this....24-48hrs?

Same with my corals..put them in a tub and use a powerhead and an airstone or no air because corals don't like bubbles? How long 24-48hrs?

I am going to take my time but I have to break down the leaking tank to put the new one in the same place as I need the stand and its the only place I can place a tank w/o direct sunlight and I live in Tampa Florida so no direct sun as its gets to damn hot.....

Any help you can give if you have been through this before would be appreciated:cry:

2. Click Here!

3. proreefer

proreefer Feather Star

you should be ok by useing pumps for cirulation don't feed and take your time you should not have problems i have done it and had no loses

4. PierceEye

5. enjetek

enjetek Plankton

Yes they will be fine. Don't forget to include a heater. I would use the powerhead. Since it will be big enough for all the fish and if they aren't fighting you will be fine. If they have been eating for a while you can go a couple days without feeding them. Make sure to check your params.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Look at your stand closely to make sure it is level in all directions and does not have any obvious flaws. Tanks don't normally fail for no reason and its often a problem with the stand not being level or warped in one direction or the other.

7. PierceEye

New Tank New Stand :) I never take chances.....I agree tanks just do not fail. I have had tanks since I was a teen and I am 52 and this is the 2nd tank in all those years.

I think after looking closer this morning that stand shifted on the sides and it uses like tongue and grove wod and now I see bare wood on the side at the bottom as the stand is painted balck and sure enough at the bottom in the middle looks like 2 boards shifted....cheap stand!

Now off to shopping today for a new tank......maybe I will go bigger instead of just getting another All Glass 65 like I had......another thing I usually do not do is replace a bad product with the same damn thing LOL

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Adding a piece of styrofoam under the tank is always a good idea. In case your stand is not perfectly level. You can get sheets of styrofoam at Home Depot or Lowes.;)

10. PierceEye

But if the tank is flat on the bottom and you have more weight on one end it would compress the styrofoam and make the tank unlevel correct? Or an I not following you?

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as your stand is not completely out of whack the tank should settle into the styrofoam evenly.I have done this for every tank I have ever owned.(about 40) and have never had a problem doing it. Just use 1/2 inch thick styrofoam.Do your best, leveling the stand first. The styrofoam keeps the tank from tweaking.It will only compress a small amount.

1 person likes this.
  12. PierceEye

If you apply physics to this idea the weight is the controlling factor; if one side weighs more than the other and since styrofoam is compactable; science tells me the heavier side will compress the foam more on one side than the other......IMO only :)