Tank Profiler

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by serotonin, Nov 12, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. serotonin

serotonin Purple Spiny Lobster

*Update* The new url is
    Tank Profiler
    *Update* The new url is

What is TankProfiler?

TankProfiler is a web based solution for recording information about reef and saltwater fish tanks (freshwater also, if interest is expressed). Most experienced fish tank keepers will illustrate the need to monitor various parameters. Inexperienced fish tank keepers often have no clue what to monitor, or what values are appropriate. TankProfiler will help both skill levels, as well as those of varying experience.

TankProfiler was created in early November, 2006. The day of this writing December 14th, 2006; the features below are currently available, and many more to come!

TankProfiler Features

* Parameter Monitoring
    You'll know when your parameters are questionable, TankProfiler will color code your data if it is found to be outside of reasonable values.

* Multiple Tanks
    TankProfiler makes it easy to manage multiple fish tanks under one user account.

* Privacy
    Your personal information is securely stored on our servers and kept that way. You may also elect to not publish your fish tank data, where it will not be publicly viewable.

* Calendar System
    The calendar to your left is also a personal scheduler. You may add numerous events to this calendar; email notifications are also available. Never forget to do your routine tasks again; TankProfiler's got your back.

* Equipment Profiles
    Keep track of what you bought for your tank, when you bought it and how much you paid. Sometimes you may not want to know, but it's good for records sake!

* Image Gallery
    Keep tabs on those slow growers, store your images on TankProfiler. Let others see your accomplishments by associating images to your inhabitants.

* camera logoInhabitant View no imagelogo
    From your uploaded images, the view tab in your inhabitants section is automatically populated with the most recent image for your inhabitants. Simply place your mouse over the camera logos without a red line through them.

* Excel spreadsheets
    Download your water parameter records into a formatted excel spreadsheet.

* Safe Storage
    Data is stored across a four disk raid array and nightly tape backups. Storing your data on a single hard drive is risky business, feel secure here.

* Dynamic Graph Generation
    Sometimes spreadsheets just do not cut it, nothing but a graph will do. View your water parameters in a nice graphical plot, thanks to JpGraph!

* Getting help, helping others.
    Having this detailed information ready when you have problems is very beneficial for you and those trying to help. Also, showing others your tank notes and water parameters help others learn from your experience!

I would eventually like to extend this system to accept records from systems such as Premium Aquatics LightHouse Aquarium Controller: Premium Aquatics

on an automatic basis. No entry required. I just don't have one yet ;)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. serotonin

Here's a couple screenshots of the parameter section.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Very nice. Does it have the ability to track none standard trace elements like Potassium? Or can you change the units. form F to C or from dKH to PPM

Regardless very cool. Look forward to using it. hint hint

J

5. serotonin

Depending on your access level, you are able to define new parameters at will. I still need to write code to translate between different measurements, but I can do that w/o too much difficulty. Thanks for your input! If you'd like an account to have a further snoop around, pm me. There really is a lot more to the system than what has been illustrated so far too :)

For everyone else, if you see my idea and don't like something please tell me. Even if the the whole site sucks or whatever. I'll have nothing but respect for anyone's opinion.

EDIT:

One other thing I feel is quite fun is the inhabitant view. At this time I don't have a working "tank list" for the general public to see as there's nobody but myself really using it so far. So in lieu of that content I am displaying the inhabitants for one of my tanks. This is basically the "View" tab under the "My Inhabitants" link. It's mostly full of frags so the stuff is pretty ugly but you get the concept. Feel free to take a look here. Tank Monitor

Cheers!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  6. m_lacom99

m_lacom99 Stylophora

Just played around with it a little. Very smooth operations, no hiccups of any sort. Very nice work. Added my tank and some critters in there. Cant wait to see more new stuff on there.

Marc.

7. serotonin

Excellent, I'm glad you're pleased! :)

I'll add some more screen shots and verbiage later tonight to give yall a better feel for what's there so far.

8. Click Here!

9. serotonin

The Tank List <---just added

There's some basic content here, no dynamic graphs (gotta make urself an account to see that!). Although you can get the feel for that in the previous screenshots.

Anyone notice the 3reef RSS FEED :)
    ./me pokes matt :D

PS: Sorry if it's a touch slow, I'm seeding torrents and only have 20kb/sec available to upload after the torrent takes up 20 :(

Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
    1 person likes this.
  10. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

The obby needs more people like you!!!!! Seriously, a VERY usefull tool that will prob replace my GIANT note pads and random sticky notes all over my work van....;D I cant wait to use it.

11. serotonin

I think I better consider getting this system on my T1 at work sooner than later :) With the few people that started using it today, nothing has broke yet that I know of! Off to a good start I trust !

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Man you have some skillz there buddy! Nice tool. Love the 3reef links too. ;)
    Something like this would be very cool as part of our member profiles. What are your plans with it beyond your own use?