Tank overrun by majano

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by GjB, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I acquired majano anemones as hitchhikers on my LR when I started this tank 2 years ago (not visible at that time). They have spread like wildfire ever since. They have taken over all of the corals that i have placed in my tank.

The good news: I no longer have to kill aptasia because they have nowhere to grow.
    The bad news: These don't look much better than aptasia.

Should i have been killing these along with my aptasia for the last 2 yrs? I also have pink-tipped anemones that are overrunning half of my tank. These also came as hitchhikers that I could not see at first. These look a little better than the mojano.

Im thinking about rebuilding my tank. Replacing all of the LR but keeping my crushed coral substrate for beneficial bacteria. Should I have any concerns with these plans?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

You will most likely have the pest anemones pop right back up if you don't start over from scratch including the substrate.

4. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Thank you for the quick reply. Will I be safe removing the substrate as well, or will I need to scrub the walls of the tank with any certain type of brush? The mojano have even made it into my fuge, albeit there are only a little spawn or two.

I have never broken down my tank to start from scratch, so any info would be appreciated.

5. PghSteeler

PghSteeler Tassled File Fish

Get a double saddle butterfly fish. Almsot garunteed to wipe out every last aneomne inyour tank for $40

6. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

I think there's a new aiptasia/mojano laser killing tool available now...? But sounds like you've already lost the battle :( Might as well start over, otherwise you'll probably never be able to ensure they're all gone. I feel your pain...same thing happened on my rock the first time, and it was an uphill battle from there on out. This time...ALL DRY ROCK.

Do you still have fish?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Same experience with Majano.

Eventually I just bought some new rock and cycled it in a separate container and removed all the sand.

I still see one or two pop up and I kalk paste them or physically remove them if I can.

Right now I have no sand or substrate, I might add it again after I am sure I have won the battle. Basically if they are in the sand you will have to remove that as well.

8. Click Here!

9. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I have thousands. It would take some time for a fish to eat all of them. Time is not an issue. However, I will have to research if that fish can live in my tank. Thank you for posting.

10. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Yep. I have a clown, pink spotted goby, yellow-tail damsel, and six-line wrasse.

11. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I guess its my fault for not killing it at the beginning. I just figured it was something

new growing but had no idea that it would smother/kill most of the coral that I bought over the years. Whoops.

12. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

I tried to upload a pic from my phone but no dice. Anyone use the droid app for 3reef? My browser asked my if I wanted it, but I declined.