Tank overhang on stand??

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by wastemanagement, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

Hi all I was just wondering if it would be possible to have the tank over hang the stand ??
    I have a nice stand lined up but it seems as though it will be 2" less in width than the tank that I am looking to buy.
    BAD IDEA or not.

2. Click Here!

3. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

I thing that would be living dangerously. It is very important to have all edges of the tank supported evenly. If your stand is not perfectly square and level or if your tank overhangs the stand, it puts stress on the seams of the tank. So, even if overhanging your tank didn't cuase the glass to crack immediately, it would really increase the chances of you developing a seam leak sometime down the line.

4. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

A very bad idea.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just split the difference and add a simple stringer to fit the overhang and a few sheetrock screws and it would be fine the tanks size would also make a difference. I had a 20 L to overhang the stand by 6 or 7" for 2 yrs r more ..