Tank Overflowed

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by somethingfishy, Jul 26, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Last week I got a call at work from my girlfriend saying my tank was overflowing. I have a 95 gal corner acrylic with an overflow going into a wet/dry. I just bought this setup and I am new to saltwater aquariums. Anyway, she turn off all the power and scooped out some water from the tank approx 1 1/2 gal. Then she plugged in both pumps and no more overflowing. I am a little confused because the only way I can think of the tank overflowing is that the overflow got clogged but no one touched the overflow so I don't see how It could unclog itself. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. somethingfishy

Oh also is there a good way to reduce noise in the overflow box, sounds like a water fall. I originaly used some bulk filter pad but after the overflow I took it out because I was worried about clogging.

4. seawillow

seawillow Coral Banded Shrimp

What kind of overflow are you using??

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Isthe return pump properly sized for the overflow? Could be the problem if undersized.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

First here is a link to Durso Stand Pipe you can build yourself. Or you can Buy a Mega Overflow Stand pipe from you LFS (it's an All Glass product)
    Durso Stand Pipe

I will assume the tank was overflowing and not the Wet Dry? Is it possible the W/D is returning more water than the overflow can bring down? In this case add a ball valve after the pump. This will allow you to vary the flow from the pump.

Jason

7. somethingfishy

First of all I want to thank you all on your comments.

Jason you were corect is saying to tank overflowed and not my wet/dry. so I don't think my pumps (I have 2 rio pumps a 1700 & 3100). I bought this tank used so I am assuming they function properly. If the pumps to powerful would it take 3 weeks to overflow?

That Durso Stand Pipe is a good Idea thanks for the tip.

Seawillow It is an intank overflow box. I think you were wondering if it is a hang on.