Urgent Tank lost power please help!!! **URGENT**

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Ryland, Jan 22, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

At some point today while I was at work my quarantine tank was unplugged. Both the air pump and heater were unplugged. Needless to say the water is cloudy and the temperature is 58 degrees!!! I plugged it all back in and shut all lights off in the room. What should I do? Water change to bring temp up? Quarantine is holding a yellow tang being treated for ich. Has been doing great but he is currently brown instead of yellow! PLEASE HELP! Im freaking out!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

What else is in the tank? corals? fish? etc..

5. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

Nothing. Bare bottom quarantine. 20 gal. Fish is extremely lethargic. But still swimming and has turned a dark brown

6. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

7. Zoanthids21

Okay, can you remove the fish anyway? like put him in a 5g bucket for a little bit until the tank heats up?

I heat my 5g buckets up buy taking 1g ziplock bags and filling them up with REALLY hot water and letting it sit in the bucket for 5-10 minutes and take it out and repeat. dry off the ziplock bag though so there is no tap water on it.

8. Click Here!

9. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I am willing to do that if you think it will work. I dont know how long it will take for the tank to heat up with the heater back on. But taking him out and putting him in a bucket wouldnt that cause a ton more stress?? Wouldnt it be better to do a 10-20 percent water change at 77 degrees? I really dont wanna lose this fish!

10. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

Hand warmers work as well. Of course in a zip lock. Don't stress the fish too much. Make sure the temperature doesn't increase too quickly. What type of fish was it?

11. Ryland

Ryland Stylophora

I meant 65 degrees not 58 degrees btw. Sorry. I maintain it at 75 so I have had a 10 degree temp drop.

12. Zoanthids21

Catch him and put him in a bag and acclimate him to the warmer water by just floating him. That will let him adjust slower to the water.

It takes an hour for my heater to heat up a 5g bucket. When i add the bags, it takes 10 minutes. from 45 degrees to 75 degrees.