Tank is taking forever to cycle!! (FW)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by kcbrad, Nov 10, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My mom set up a 38 gallon freshwater tank. I am helping her cycle it and get it ready for fish. The cycle is just taking forever!! She is getting impatient - I don't blame her! She keeps saying "I thought you knew what you were doing!" LOL

So it's been cycling for THREE months! I put some pellets in at the beginning and let them rot. The ammonia took like two months to rise and drop. The ammonia is now 0. But the nitrite is stuck at 5ppm. It's been there for a month.

What is the deal?! Is there any way I can speed this up?! Argh!

Thanks! :)

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

You can add a bottled bacteria, such as Hagens Cycle and that will speed up the process IME

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

THANK YOU! Doing it today! I'll try anything! :)

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would get another nitrite test kit also.

6. gt40425hp

gt40425hp Feather Duster

FW cycles weard . ive found if nothing happins in 2-3weeks its never going to happin add fish mabee ive been lucky but i have never lost a freshwater fish other than old age i would thing i was into cichlids for years other than agression takeing them out ive had them live for 10 years plus .. (ive always wated a discus tank but never could find them localy)

1 person likes this.
  7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I would toss in a molly and some bottled bacteria, tbh. That may be the thing you need to get it fully cycled.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'm going to put some bacteria in tonight. Won't the 5ppm nitrite kill any fish I put in there?

10. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

5ppm nitrite isn't too bad to begin with, but especially not for a molly. They're probably the single hardiest fish species out there.

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Okay...it's the last color on the chart! LOL maybe we will try a super hardy fish. But I'm going to try the bacteria first.

12. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

I agree with the bacteria. I added a whole bottle of it to mine when I set it up and the whole thing cycled in a very short time. I was testing like crazy since I could not believe it would speed up things so much.

Why didn't you do the shrimp method, KC? Does it only work for salt water? That seems to be an easy way to start a cycle too.