Tank is leaking!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by kcbrad, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Last night around 2 am I noticed my tank (37 gal) is leaking!! It's definitely coming from the bottom of the tank and my carpet was soaked. :angry:

I'm not going to try and repair the tank. I'm going to buy a new one. It's a good excuse now because I've always hated how tall the tank is, so I think now I'll get a 38 gallon and a new, nicer stand.

Good thing it's a slow leak, because I cannot get to the store until tonight, or maybe even tomorrow.

Here's my question - I'm going to put in new sand. I feel like stirring up the existing sand is going to cause a giant nutrient explosion. Do you think that's a bad idea, to add new sand? I was planning on doing 30 pounds "dead" and 10 pounds "live." I'll be using the same rock, after a good scrubbing.

I also want to put on a new filter (this tank is skimmerless). Can I do that? Or will that be too much of a shock?

I plan on putting the fish and rock into a giant tub with some of the tank water. I do plan on reusing the same water. Because I don't have time to make 35ish gallons of new water!

Wish my fishies luck!!!

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would defiantly use new sand. Is there a way you could get a drilled tank and then you could put the skimmer and everything in the sump

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You can put some old sand in a filter sock to help seed... wait you said you are going to use 10 lbs of 'live' sand - is that new live sand then?

New filter should be fine - are you thinking about a skimmer then?

Sorry to hear this - a tank leak is very stressful Kacy! Did you pull the carpet out?

1 person likes this.
  5. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Ok, I'll do all new sand. I figured so. Plus it will be all clean and pretty. :) I'm not doing a sump on this tank. It's a FOWLR tank and has been skimmerless for two years and doing great. It's in fact much easier to maintain and had way less problems than my tank with a sump and skimmer! haha

This is very stressful!! Thank goodness it's a slow leak. My dog had surgery and I can't leave her home alone, and my fiance is gone...so I can't do anything about it for some time!! So at least it isn't draining all over the place.

I am stressing out about transferring everyone and having them in tubs, etc. But it shouldn't be too bad....::) Famous last words.

And yes, new "live" sand. I know there's debate on live sand, useful, useless, etc. but it just makes me feel better to use it. I'll do the majority "dead" sand. And thanks for the idea about the filter sock filled with old sand. I'll definitely do that!

I won't be adding a skimmer. I mentioned above why.

Thanks guys!!

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I had a 75G tank leak on me and it wasn't a slow leak. I had all my fish and corals in rubbermaid tubs for over 2 weeks with out a single loss. the biggest issue is having enough heaters and pumps to keep all the tubs warm and circulating.
    I would defiantly stock up on extra heater and small power heads. Even tubs with just water or just LR should have heater and pumps

J

1 person likes this.
  7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yikes! That must have been really stressful for you.

Ok I'll stock up on a couple extra heaters and pumps. Thanks for the reminder!

Money, money, money...:eek:

8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

Sorry about the bad luck. I see they have gotten your questions well taken care of already. I agree with the new sand as well. I'll keep my fingers crossed on the switch for ya lol.
    Jake

1 person likes this.
  10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would go with new sand and keep the old filter material since you plan on scrubbing the rock.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. What size tank are you planning on getting?

1 person likes this.
  11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thank you!! I need all the crossing I can get!!

Ok. I plan on getting a new filter, but I'll put the old media in there. The old filter is just so gross and I don't feel like cleaning it. LOL Yes, lazy, but I'll have so much to do with the transition, I don't want to have to worry about one more thing!

I think I'm going to get around the same size. This one is 37 gallons, but I hate how tall it is. I think the 38 is long and short. Or maybe I'll do a 40 breeder.

What do you think? I have to buy a new stand anyways, so I can get a different size tank. But I don't want to go much bigger. I don't have the space or money!

Is Petco's $1/ gallon sale going on?! That would be amazing!!

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

38 long would be nice or I like 40 breeders. I'm nervous for you though with this leak! I hope it does get worse - is it in a place you can get at in the meantime? How bad is it?

Good luck Kacy.