Tank is dieing - need advice

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PackLeader, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

*Update*

With all this carbon talk I was doing research on power filters. Turns out my filter was pumping out a whimpy 95gph. I replaced it with a 300gph right before the pet store closed. Think the weak filter was also hurting?

2. Click Here!

3. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

While 95gph isn't much it depends on what you were runnign in the filter, but I doubt this is your problem. Looks like you got the carbon situated, I would listen to tangster, leave teh tank alone for a while, it will level out.

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Exactly what I am doing, just wondering if it wasnt solely the anenome death that caused this. We are making arrangements to take the fish back the the LFS. We will only get partial credit, but at least they will live.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

No, the anemone probably affected your levels a bit but it's more because of the fact that the fish that you put in the tank are all producing more ammonia than the bacteria in your system can handle which is why your levels continue to rise. In a tank that is cycling properly, you would normally see a rise in ammonia then a decline. Once the ammonia levels start to drop, you would notice your nitrites start to rise then decline. Once the nitrites started to decline, you would notice your nitrates start to rise. Since all 3 of your levels are rising at the same time, it tells me that you don't have enough bacteria in your tank to handle the heavy bioload that your fish are producing. Hope that made sense...I tend to ramble at times :)

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I know its not the fish. We havent added a fish for a good while. The tank has always cycled properly and was established, till this anenome went off.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sorry...didn't realize that this tank had been set up for a while.

8. Click Here!

9. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

No problem. But yeah, the tank was first set up in May. Everything was good till this.

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

this could be your problem, a sump and a fuge would benefit the tank better than hob.

these are general numbers dependent on many factors:
    the toxic level of NH3,4 is 1 ppm
    the toxic level of NO2,3 is 20ppm

when pH rises NH3 rises when pH lowers NH4 rises, ammonia test kits cannot distinguish this. NH3 is more toxic than NH4 and NO2 is less toxic than NO3, just .1 of NH3 will hinder a tank. if your system is over 1ppm of NH3,4 or over 20ppm of No2,3 then a water change would be a good idea.

ive always been hesitant on adding chemicals to the system such as medications.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2008
  11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Cut the lights off leave what in there alive in there then feed it lightly and set back for a few weeks .. A tank set up in may of 08 is still subject to a cycle at anytime even had it not been rushed into action.. I myself would not add anything to a tank less them 3 months at least after the single little fish I use to cycle with . You are just chasing the thing now . A tank less then a yr old is still cycling to some extent .at about 2 yrs then they are past the toddler stage and ready to kick started but once they give you a problem like you have had it justs takes time. it will setle in just let it be and allow it the needed time..it can be furtating as all get out and I as all have been through at least once Just takes lots of time.

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

*Update*

The better filter/carbon must be working. Everything has survived, and now all my levels are at least measurable. Still high, but they aren't pegging the test kit.
    Lights have been off, feeding *very* lightly