Tank is dieing - need advice

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PackLeader, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Sorry 'bout your tank. That sucks. Things will get better.......time is the magic cure all in this case I think. That and carbon......I agree with those previous posters.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Thank you all for your fast and expert advice, as always. At least with this forum we can start to set things right. I will be picking up the carbon as soon as I get off work. What is it exactly? Like a liquid additive?
    Being here is driving me nuts. We lost 1 tang this morning (blue hippo) and the other tang didnt look far behind. The only fish that would eat were the clowns. We were finally starting to get a beautifully stocked tank. I have no idea what will be gone by the time me or my girlfriend get back. :cry:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  4. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

No carbon is like whats inside most filter media, such as whats in your filters. Its comes in jug like containers, you will have to get some type of bag to put it in. and rinse it in ro water to remove dust.

1 person likes this.
  5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

What type of bag? Then do you just drop that in the tank?

6. ShrimpSkin

ShrimpSkin Bristle Worm

If you have a filter you could run it in there, if not you could use a filter bag to run it in.

1 person likes this.
  7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

OK, so it would just be something I could add to my backpack-style filter?

8. Click Here!

9. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

Well, I have to disagree with some posters as to not do a water change. I had two anemones which died in a horrible toxin war. Those toxins get into the water, sand, and LR. I lost everything on my tank: corals, inverts, and fish except for my hardy yellow tang. Anyway, due to the toxins getting into the sand and etc. I was forced to do tons of water changes. By this I mean that I had to vacuum the sand about once a week, which resulted in a water change. Also, run the carbon because it will catch the toxins you stir up while doing the vacuuming (assuming your tank is not bare bottom). It took me a couple months of doing this and trial and error of getting something to live again in my tank. OR if you have cash you could start over, me ~ I had to salvage my investment the best I could. I now have two beautiful and extremely healthy anemones: LTA and a carpet that has grown about a foot in diameter since I have had him. I would definently wait a couple months at least before trying to put new things in.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Just let it ride the tank is still cycling and growing enough bacteria to convert the Ammonia and NO2's into NO3's count the days its been running and wait for 80 days at least do noting as I mentioned earlier it will be fine but Bacterium have been on earth for billions of Eons and they work in their time frame and can't be rushed , This is the reason I always cycle my systems 3 months with a single fish. No lights and little feedings and seldom . As for a carbon bag a media bag like 5x10" and fine mesh about 3 or 4 dollars

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

We had been planning on adding more LR and aquascaping more. Can I continue to do this during the period or should I hold off?

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I got the carbon/media bag. Is this how I need to do it?

[​IMG]