Tank is dieing - need advice

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by PackLeader, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

A few weeks ago, we had lost an anenome due to poor lighting/flow. Lesson learned. We fixed the problems there, but since then the cycle has never been able to re-establish itself, and our tank fills with toxins within 2 days. After some research, I have concluded that this is probably due to toxins released by the dieing anenome.
    This morning we lost a tang, and I really need to do something. I am thinking that it may be best to start the whole process all over, removing all livestock, full drain, the works, and re-establishing the tank all over again as if it were new, after finding we made quite a few mistakes due to a poor book and questionable advice from our LFS (the only two sources of info we had to start a tank at the time).
    Any advice/comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Are you/have you done a megadose of carbon. Along with waterchanges, carbon should be run in your system in the catastrophic death of an anemone. And keeping an eye on your parameters. How is ammonia and nitrite testing?

1 person likes this.
  4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How is the system set up ? a sump or a power filter ? what are you testing for and have you tested the water if so what where the levels ? If not test them all and post..

1 person likes this.
  5. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

you could just put anything living in a qt until the tables re-cycles

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

I have not done a corbon dose. System is set-up with a power filter.
    Have water tested every day. Ammonia, nitrate, and nitrites all raise VERY rapidly everytime we do a water change (atleast 10ppm a day).

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest sitting it out. Let your tank completely cycle. Remove and save what you can.

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I would tell you not to do a water change its about the worst single thing you can do when there is a problem . Its a shotgun effect on the system. You have to narrow the problem down and then go after the cause .. I'd add some carbon and keep a fish in there to steady the cycle and let it ride for 2 months and feed the fish very little .. Add a cup of carbon for every 100 gals and change it at 4 to 5 weeks .

10. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

I agree with Tangster. You really should be using carbon as it pulls out alot of toxins.

1 person likes this.
  11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

So, I should NOT do even a partial water change, even though the nitrates/nitrites/ammonia are has high as the test kit will go? Just dose with carbon every 4-5 weeks and wait this out?

12. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately you are gambling when adding an anenome to your tank. They can up and move around after being in a well established place for a long time. And dang it if murphys law dosen't kick in and they wind up in your powerhead or a filter intake.:-/ Listen to Tangster use carbon to filter your water. Good luck ! keep us posted !

1 person likes this.