Tank ideas open to feedback

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by hitman35, Dec 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hitman35

hitman35 Purple Spiny Lobster

ok guys and gals here is a a couple pics of my tank sorry if not to clear. But basically im posting to see if any one might have ideas for it such as aquascaping ideas or powerhead placement ideas and so forth. All my perameters are up to par. My tank is a 55 gal about 48" long and i cant remember the width but im lookin at all the creative aquascapes and what like some input if anyone is able to do so by seeing a couple pics.also my tank has been up and running for about a year and a half tank.jpg

untitled.jpg

DSC01431.jpg

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

How about getting rid of all the equipment in the tank and setting up a sump/fuge?

4. hitman35

i have though of that but didnt want to deal with the complication of the plumbing work but definatley a good suggestion

5. jeremy_a

jeremy_a Feather Duster

What he said.

6. hitman35

what would be a good size sump or fuge for a 55 gal

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

A 20 long will be nice to house both. That's DIY though. If you are apprehensive of plumbing one then, building one is probably out of the question. I'd check around the net and fish stores. Plumbing is easy.

8. Click Here!

9. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

Besides the sump maybe use Korila or Tunze Nano Streams. Might be able to useles power heads with the wider flow.

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I also have a 55 and the width kinda sucks for aquascaping, but we have to deal with what we have. I would suggest to try to get more height in at least one area. Right now you kinda have a flat level all the way across the tank. By having varying heights, placement of corals is easier and you will also be able to keep higher light demanding corals. I currently have about the same amount of rock in my tank as you, but I just bought 25lbs of base rock which Im curing. I want to add some more height to my aquascape. Just a thought.
    Also, I don't have a sump too. To at least make it looks not as cluttered, you could move the powerheads to the sides.

11. hitman35

yes also i have been llokin at the korila's to those are somethin i will definatley be getting

12. hitman35

yeah 55 is a weird size but i got the tank cheap and it fits perfect in my cutout