Tank falling apart

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by chewbaca, Aug 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Came home and the middle glass support on my 112 had fallen in to the tank, have a ratchet strap around my tank cause I'm scared it's gonna bust, maybe??

2. Click Here!

3. jeremya

jeremya Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Wow, that is not good. Since it is out of the water could you glue it back in place?

4. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I would tear it down immediately. There's a very good chance it's not going to hold. If you have to temporarily set up smaller tanks and/or have your friends and LFS hold stuff for you if possible, IMHO that should be done.

I told the true story of a guy who went on vacation and while gone the bottom of his tank fell out. Once the structure is compromised there's no guarantee, And fwiw, several years ago my little 30g. Finnex started to just barely, and I mean barely leak towards the bottom. I tore the tank down the next day. I know your tank is big, but still...

Again, just MHO but damn, I'd hate to see you lose everything.

5. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Me to, I'm looking like crazy to find a tank to buy, mite as well go bigger :) atleast find some in it

6. ScorpD

ScorpD Astrea Snail

Wow, so sorry to hear that. Did the glass bow out in the center and cause the support to separate from the rest of the frame? I would definitely be worried about it pulling away from the seams at the edges if so.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Just for the stress of this (no pun intended) you deserve to go bigger. I'm not trying to sound like an alarmist, but if you leave it and it breaks you'll be sooooo upset.

8. Click Here!

9. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Well I drained a nice bit of water and put a bar clamp across the middle, will have to work till I get a new awuarium

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Taking out water was a very smart thing to do. Less weight, less pressure etc.

You'll find one and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I'm just happy you're going to do something.

This is one of those situations where it's good to err on the side of caution.

11. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Yes , definitely gotta do something, way to much much money in the tank not to

12. chewbaca

chewbaca Astrea Snail

Ok I found a 210 gallon but it's been drilled on bottom for a sump, but I don't plan to run a sump, can I plug the holes??