Tank cycled?

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by mwtan79, Apr 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

Hi guys how can i know if my tank is cycled? I had started the tank 1 week ago. With 50% LR from my previous tank. Tank was cloudy n smelly since i add in water and cleared on the 4th day. Dosing microbacter 7 daily. I'hv put in market prawn to kick start the cycle. Prawn was gone in 3 day. But ammonia was 0.25(salifert) nitrite and nitrate 0(api), no spike in any. 1 of the LR had a polyp of zoas still openning. Copepods starting to multiply already.

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Nope not cycled. You will end up with nitrates. You have a detectable ammonia value so nope not cycled.

How big is the tank and how much rock approximately?

4. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

It about 1300l tank. I shd have about 200-250kg of rocks

5. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

Sorry it shd be 100-150kg of Rocks

6. Corailline

wow 343 gallons of water, that is a big tank. Naw that does not sound right, are you sure about those numbers that would give you a ton of rock. If you added 100kg of cured live rock than I would expect a short cycle.

7. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

I would say 50% live rock from my previous tank. The rest are dead rock. Thats the problem when i did not see and spike in ammonia or nitrite after a week and the prawn was gone in just 3 day.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

So do you need to move stuff from the other tank over?

I would give it at least another week with no detectable ammonia. If you have ammonia now and you move over live stock now you run the risk of a more significant ammonia spike.

10. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

I wont be moving anything in for the moment. Until confirm cycle is done. Probably i try to put another dead prawn in again and give it another week.

11. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

what happened to the prawn? it just dissolved??

12. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

Yup it was gone on the 3rd day. I just found the intestine floating around. And gone the next day too. Then my sump had a layer of dirty film so i assume it shd be ammonia. I tested for a few day the reading keep shoing 0.25 and 0 nitrite n nitrate.