Tank Cycled but NO Algae bloom????

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by NYGiants, May 9, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NYGiants

NYGiants Coral Banded Shrimp

My tank has been up and running for roughly 4 weeks, as of yesterday Amonia / Nitrites are at 0 and Nitrates at about 20... I havn't really seen much if any of an algae bloom.

I set up my tank initially with tap water but soon after got a RODI unit and have been using an ATO with RODI water since...

Is this a problem that I have not had an algae bloom?

Also, I havnt been running my lights at all during this time.

Is it safe for me to consider the tank cycled and add my first fish on Saturday?

2. Click Here!

3. jimmy_beaner

jimmy_beaner Teardrop Maxima Clam

How would you get algae (a photosynthetic organism) if you haven't provided the tank any light?
    What is the tank volume? And how did you cycle? (What was used?... just a dead shrimp and base rock, or some live rock?)

4. NYGiants

80 lbs base rock / sand , 72 G tank + 15 G sump, used a bio additive (Nutrafin Cycle) to start the cycle...

Also I was initially told to not run any lights during the cycling process thats why I havn't had the lights on. Hope thats ok.

1 person likes this.
  5. Vizzle1717

Vizzle1717 Coral Banded Shrimp

+1. for real.

Get those lights on a regular 8-12 hour schedule

6. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It's common for people to not run lights during cycle thinking they will avoid the algae blooms. Maybe you will get lucky and not experience the typical algae blooms.

I would ghost feed the tank some fish food and test for ammonia the next day and see if the tank/biological filter can handle the decaying organic matter.

1 person likes this.
  7. NYGiants

I will set up the light schedule once I get home tonight, is it safe to add first fish this weekend or do I need to wait ?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

I would use the advice Corailline gave just to ensure that the tank can handle decay. If it can't handle some food breakdown, it probably won't be able to handle a fish. If anything give it some time with the light cycle you are starting. You might get a bloom now that you are providing light, in which case a cleanup crew would be needed before adding fish.

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Challenge the tank with ghost feedings and see if it's safe to add fish.

1 person likes this.
  11. tgood

tgood Sea Dragon

+1 - patience is key... I'd rather see you wait a little longer and be sure the tank is stable than have issues start to arise after you've added livestock.

12. NYGiants

I apologize Corailline I didnt see your first post about ghost feeding before I commented. I will set up my Solar Extreme T5 light schedule tonight as well as ghost feed a pinch of pellets and see how the system reacts tomorrow night.

Anything I should be looking for tomorrow night?.. Just Amonia / Nitrite levels showing up?

1 person likes this.