Tank Cycle

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by somethingfishy, Jul 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. somethingfishy

somethingfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

Alright Alright I know everyone is gonna want to yell at me. I have a Freshwater test kit and it allows me to test for High PH, Nitrites, and Nitrates for saltwater. My Nitrites are at 0ppm and Nitrates are a 10ppm. I have no Idea about my ammonia though. My belief is that if I am registering Nitrates then they had to originally come from ammonia so my tank should be cycled. Is this correct?

I may just have to go spend some more money on a test kit. I am a cheap A$$.

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

How long has the tank been cycling for?
    What is currently in the tank, Live Rock? Sand? How much.

I would grab an ammonia test kit for sure

Jason

4. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

More than likely you are correct IF you had a measured amount of Nitrite previously.

BTW, NOBODY YELLS HERE, OK

John :)

5. somethingfishy

Jason, My tank has been up for about 3-4 weeks with 6 damsels in it. I just added 6 pounds of live rock a week ago and I will be adding 50lbs more tomarrow hopefully.
    ;D.

btw: How much live rock for a 95 gal corner FOWLR tank

6. somethingfishy

JohnO I just did my first test today I haven't see any Nitrates they are at 0ppm. I do have Nitrites at 10 ppm which came from Nitrates which came from ammonia. Anyway I think it is cycled, but I will buy a kit tomarrow. A kit is cheaper than a fish and more humane.

7. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

Ummm, Listen me old mate

It's - Ammonia - Nitrites - Nitrates.

I think you may have confused the sequence in your post above :)

However if you really are seeing Nitrites and not Nitrates then your cycles has not ended.

John

8. Click Here!

9. somethingfishy

I'm sorry John I switched them around in my last post my Nitrates are a 10ppm

10. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

No need to apologise, it took me a while to remember too :) A bit concerned that you put fish in without checking though. However what's done is done.

Quote " FISH HAVE NO RIGHTS! Fight to save fishy lives!"

John

11. somethingfishy

You like that? " FISH HAVE NO RIGHTS! Fight to save fishy lives!"

Anyway the damsels were put in for cycling purposes. I have found out that fish enthusiast are very keen on that. I guess I should add "Treat all fish equally."

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Every time you add LR you will have a cycle of some sort it maybe small or large.

I would have to say you haven't even had a cycle yet. With only 6lbs of LR in a 95G tank and 6 Damsels. I would suggest trading in the Damsels at your LFS for some of the LR. Try and get your LR up to about 95lbs. Then start measureing the Ammonia. Once it has spiked then you can look for some Nitrite after it has spiked then you will be left with Nirate and you cycle is complete.
    The reason people are against putting fish into an uncycled tank is because it's like asking you to breath in a room full of mustard gas. The ammonia will kill most fish.