Urgent tank crashing hard (pic pg2)

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billielewis3, Jan 8, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Garlic will help with the eating part. Tell your boss to soak the food in garlic and see if that helps. I've heard good things about Selcon as well.

There are two things that your boss can try.

1. Try raising the heat to around 90 degrees.

2. If there are no corals, drop the SG to 1.020. I know ICH is less tolerant of a lower salinity.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

What size tank is it?:confused:

1 person likes this.
  4. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Great! the master is here! I can bow out! Good luck to your boss and listen to vinny!

1 person likes this.
  5. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

its a 50 gallon tank i believe, could be off a gallon or two. the tang is very young and is only the size of a fiftycent piece, and when it gets bigger, im taking him and puttin him in my 90 gallon. (pending he survives)

6. scottmwoods

scottmwoods Spaghetti Worm

Ok, This is my tank.

What I have done. did a 15gal water change last night and raised the temp to 80. I lowered the salt to between 1.022 and 1.023.

The White spots were cleared up some this morning. The tang had a little color back into him not as white.

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

None of those interventions are going to treat marine ich. You need to lower the SG all the way to 1.009, raising temp might quicken the life cycle, the parasite falls off the fish faster but it's still in the substrate and will complete it's life cycle.

Glad it all seems much better.

A tang will change it's coloration with lighting, mood and stress. It's not uncommon at all for a yellow tang to appear white or pale for no reason apparent to us.

Do not be surprised if you see the white spots again, the parasite will continue to become opportunistic as long as there is any stress. It's present you just can not visualize it because of the life stage it's currently in. Only for a brief time can you visualize the parasite, the rest of the time it's in the substrate completing it's life cycle.

Remove stress, feed marine algae and quality foods and the fish have a good chance of making it through this bout.

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid