Tank crashed copper in Kent carbon UPDATE!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by steelhead, Mar 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

I did my normal cleaning Wednesday on my 75gal. clean the filters,glass,10 gal. water change. When I added the water I noticed my corals did not look happy and this morning it looks like they are all dead or on the way out. I have never had a problem until now, all my perameters are good the only thing I changed was I used Kent reef carbon instead of Marineland and I opened a new bucket of salt (the same I have been using ) . The fish seem to be ok but all the coral mostly softies look very bad. I also noticed that my skimmer cup is filling up ten times as fast and the odd thing is it is way more clear than normal. My R/O D/I unit only has about 250 gal. through it so I would not think thats the problem. Could there be something in the salt or carbon that we don't or can't test for? Working nights but will change carbon back to Marineland and and new filters when I wake up. Any thoughts ??

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Marie0912

Marie0912 Fire Shrimp

I think there's a recall on the kent carbon, you should research. There's a customer at my lfs that their tank crashed because of it. I am not positive but maybe somebody else knows and can chime in on it.

4. pgoodsell

pgoodsell Horrid Stonefish

5. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

I called Kent and you are correct there was a recall but they said mine was OK. Wish they could have gave me more info on what was wrong with it.:angry:

6. pgoodsell

They had heavy metal contamination, including copper get into the carbon.

7. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

So if it is copper what the best thing to do. My nem looks very bad I might get rid of it before it dies and makes things worse. :-/

8. Click Here!

9. pgoodsell

If you think you did get some of the contaminated carbon, take it out and do a decent sized water change. Then just keep an eye on every thing. The have the info in that link so you can see if yours is one of the batches. It sure sounds like what they described.

10. steelhead

steelhead Astrea Snail

They said no but I don't trust them, do you think my corals will be ok with water changes and new carbon??

11. ezz1r

ezz1r Feather Star

I would ask for compensation chi -chning...

12. pgoodsell

They're saying that with changing the carbon and the water change corals should recover in a couple weeks. But who knows for sure. You might want to get one of those copper absorbing pads.