Tank Crash

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by xabo, Sep 22, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. xabo

xabo Astrea Snail

Izzy swept through D.C. on Thurs. Power went out at 5.00 P.M. Just came back today. Already lost a Black, Red Sea Sailfin, Chevron, and Yellow Tang. Corals surely will follow. Clams are gone. Should I just run system for a couple of days w/lights on, or start over?

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

So sorry to hear of your great loss xabo :-[
      I would just let everything run for a while you might be surprized what did live through it! I would pull out anything that is definately dead. Hope for the best whatch your tests you may have to do alot of water changes to make it through the ammonia spike I'm betting you will see what time did the power come back on?
      Sorry again,          David

4. xabo

xabo Astrea Snail

12:30 PM. Skimmer is going nuts. Foam is overflowing into the sump.

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

oh xabo! :(

i'm really sorry man. i'm with david, save what you can and get through the recovery phase. it still has to be better than starting over i'd think. :-/

drill a hole in the side of your skimmer cup and make a drain into a gallon jug. keep us posted.

what are your observations / ideas at this point?

6. xabo

xabo Astrea Snail

The Buttons madeit. SPS gone. Thanks for the replies.

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Ugh. Any thoughts on how to prevent this next time? There are some cheap battery backups out there now, you might have just motivated me to pick one up. I need a chiller too. :p

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

sorry for the loss of your tank. was it from the power outage of the hurricane? i thought i was going to have some problems also we lost power a couple of times but it was lucky enough that it eventually came back on. i would keep running the tank and see what might come back i wouldnt give up on everything just yet. i know of some corals that were pretty much dead one was a cabbage coral and put in another tank and its coming back nicely some are hardier than you would think.

10. xabo

xabo Astrea Snail

Water test: Amonia off the charts!
    Will do a water change, and keep an eye on it.

11. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

sorry about that. the reason why clams die first is the lack of oxygen. and in a still tank organisms start to die and decay fast.
    a suggestion is to use battery operated air pumps and blubbers or even porous air stones to circulated water during a power outage.
    my last power outage (24 hours!) I wasn't home and the battery operated pump failed. a miniatus, two military lionfish, a violetans and a queen trigger all died in a fowlr.