Tank Covers and Jumping Fish

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by GoToSleep, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GoToSleep

GoToSleep Torch Coral

Congratulations to Skim032 on the new FireFish Goby:biggrinbo. I see some conversation about how much these guys like to jump. I used to have glass covers on my 120 -- I never had any fish hit the floor but lots of problems with salt creep and spray on that glass. I'm sure it really decreased the amount of light that was getting through to the tank. Probably didn't help the gas exchange at the surface any, either.

Is anyone using eggcrate to cover the top of their tank?
    Is it effective at preventing jumpers?
    Does it have any significant affect on the amount of light that reaches your corals?
    Have you had any 'meltdowns' as a result of your lights getting to close to the plastic?

2. Click Here!

3. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I had a bluespotted jawfish make the perfect jump through one of the holes on the first night I had him :cry:

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I just removed my glass last week. I bought a section of eggcrate here at Home Depot for $11.49 that I am going to cut to fit here in the next day or two. I did notice a huge difference in my lighting when the glass went away. It will probably decrease somewhat again when the eggcrate goes on. It is possible for the fish to jump through the holes, but the odds are that it will deflect back into the tank.

5. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I have purchased my egg crate and doing the install when my new lights get here that I just ordered today. I will be posting pics so don't get me pic police. LOL

6. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Wasn't I just talking to you about your gallery????!!!!!!;)

7. skim032

skim032 Astrea Snail

Thinking about doing the same. does the whole top need to be covered? or can a border be made around the edges?

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I would do an all or nothing. I could just see the fish jumping up and out of the tank onto the eggcrate and then cooking. You would have broiled fish when you got home from work.:help: