Urgent tank cloudy..after plumbing

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bobssecrtsn, Apr 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

Hey reefers. i just messed up my SPS dom tank. Yesterday i redid my plumbing with PVC. now when i woke up this morning it seemed like i got a Bacteria bloom or some sort, my tank is cloudy and i just did a 10G WC.

this is what i did in steps,

removed old piping and sump. ( sump has only cheatos in it )
    did the plumbing with pvc cement and primer.
    hooked up all the plumbing and everything.

everything is up and running just checked the big 3 and everything seemed fine.

i think i did not let the pvc cement and primer cure all the way?
    OR
    when i pluged my RKL in and let everything settle my pH was at 8.45! i urgently checked with salifert and confirmed it was 8.5-6 and i proceeded with adding distilled vinegar. when i added it my pH dropped to 8.0 i dosed my 2 part ALK and CA and my pH rose to 8.27.

SPECS, 18g display 12g sump, sc65 skimmer, cheatos, 2 clowns, 6line wrasse. twin spotted goby

some of my SPS millies does not show any P.E and some does. im so stumped right now. i do not know whether to add prime or not. please give me some feedback!

FTS
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. silor

silor Sea Dragon

Dropping you ph that fast and then raising sure didn't help the cause,
    I'd just let it do it's thing do a partily water change tomorrow and add some carbon.
    Could have been from not letting it cure or just new plastic could have caused it.

4. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

before i dropped pH i turned the returned pump off before added the vinegar. so only the water in the sump got lower pH.

also it says here,
    http://www.ipscorp.com/pdf/weldon/WeldOn_timetable.pdf

and on the bottle itself it says it takes 30 minutes to cure, i waited about 3-4 hours before turning it on.

5. silor

silor Sea Dragon

If you Waited that long its not from that but it could have just been from new PVC a small bloom from new plastic.. Did any thing else get shook up ?

6. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

well. dettruis from the sump, thats all i can think of. but before i was using a filter sock. so there couldnt have been that much detrius.

7. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i did a 10g waterchange today, should i do another 10g water change? or 15g wc?

8. Click Here!

9. silor

silor Sea Dragon

I'd just do a five gal tomorrow, looking at the pic again there is some larger partcles in the water colum I'd be willing to bet its mostly detruis from you sump.
    I know mine did that from time to time when it got shuffled down there.

I wouldn't worry to much yet just let it settle and do a 5gal tomorrow.
    Nick

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn Sea Dragon

i just did another 10g. and put a fresh bag of carbon. im gunna wait tmrow and do another 10g and wait 24 hours and put another bag of carbon in. will let you guys know how it turns out