Tank Cleaning

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by Stingray, Apr 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Just thought i would ask what do we use to clean the outside of the glass,to get it nice and sparkling?, and also inside back glass is this just left dirty because moving the rocks every couple of days becomes a pain ,?

2. Click Here!

3. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I just use plain white paper towel saturated with hot water and follow it with a dry piece of paper towel. As for the back i dont know of anyone who cleans it...with good water flow the only thing u should have back there is coraline algae growth. Thats all i have ever had back there.

4. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

As i understand it you need calcium in the water to get coraline algae does this mean that in a FOWLR tank you would not see any?

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I do the same as Luvreefs23, wet and dry paper towel. As for the back, I have never cleaned any of my tanks. I let what little algae grows on it for the tangs to clean up and what ever coraline decides to grow. You will see some coraline growth in a fowlr tank but not as fast as in a reef tank. A FT doesnt need the Cal to be as high as a RT. Luna

6. nemo1991

nemo1991 Millepora

i go with windex (sP?) on the front with a paper towel idk if thats the best but i need to try what luna said, and i leave the back of mine be as well, the coraline alge just kinda fills the back nicely! i saw some things at petco for like sparkling water or something for reef tanks and it makes the water super clean and clear, but i have never used it b4

7. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

My shirt!!! Usually just use my magfloat....

8. Click Here!

9. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

dito!!!

10. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

LOL!!!! Just being honest.... I have bought wipes for aquariums but they leave streaks that I usually wipe off with my shirt anyways.... LOL!!!!

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

NEVER use windex to clean an aquarium glass. Do you have an algae problem?

12. wareagle35031

wareagle35031 Bubble Tip Anemone

LUNA you genius I have been bashing my brains out trying to figure out my GHA source, guess what i use windex.