Tank cleaning service?

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by Sataly, Apr 30, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

My wife mentioned that I should start one here in my town. I thought about it and it seems like a good idea. I use to do it when I worked at lfs a few years back. generally for the lazy rich people but hey money is money right? just wanted opinions on my selection of equpiment. I plan on doing both salt and fresh. I have number of buckets and a 180 gallon water container that I can put in the back of my truck when empty. I can get a few hundred feet of line for draining and filling (3/4" for all applications). for a pumps for both mixing, draining and pumping I was thinking about buying 9.5 mag drives as Ive seen a few used ones on Craigslist that only need easily replaceable parts. I recently bought another rodi unit to stick on the wall next to my mixing station so I have my portable rodi unit free to use. only thing I see being a problem is getting dechlorinator and salt on bulk for use. ideas on that?

this is just for a few extra dollars in my pokect and feed my hobbies. being a college student and working, every dollar counts to me. I usually have time free and it's usually spent on my gaming laptop lol so I need to do something when surf isn't good.

2. Click Here!

3. Sataly

Sataly Coral Banded Shrimp

also I was thinking about getting Hana testers for myself and figured it would probably help using them for this as well.

4. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

The hanna checkers would be costly using them very often, since you have to buy reagents every ~25-30 tests. I believe red sea has refills for their titration type tests but I don't know this for fact, maybe someone who uses them can chime in on that.

As far as salt and dechlorinator, if you do an LLC or something like that you may be able to buy from distributors, or you may be able to work something out with an LFS if you buy in bulk. Could also email some place like BRS or Marinedepot and see if they would negotiate a decent price for buying in bulk.

I don't have any advice on the pumps since i have never used a mag drive, I know the Jebao DC pumps are good and decently priced on amazon.

Hope some of this helps and best of luck to you!

Billme likes this.
  5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

sounds like a great plan to me! I'm sorry I can't help in terms of specific supplies you'll need but it sounds like you have a pretty good idea from your previous experience.