Resolved Tank BLew!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by BoBo65, Jan 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Double post

[merged thread]

Sadly yes I know exactly how it happened, I bought the tank used... first mistake, after drilling and filling the tank I saw a tiny chip on the bottom left hand side of the tank, I didn't think it was anything to be to concerned about and was just going to keep my eye on it and if it got any worse I would drain the tank and start over, the next day/yesterday I filled it up with sand, while admiring my tank today I realized that tiny chip had grown a cm so I slathered a good amount of silicone around it even though I couldnt feel anything from the outside i figured Id rather be safe than sorry, then I took a sharpie and marked the tip of the chip, and made plans with Silor to drain the tank tomorrow and find a new one, I went to redbox with my girl and when we got back the crack had grown a tiny bit more, I figured dang that sucks, I guess I am going to be draining it tonight after the movie while my girl sleeps.... halfway through the movie you know the rest

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

HEY so my 75G tank with 29 gallon sump just blew out right as my girl and I were about to go to bed, we jumped up grabbed the spare 55 in the garage and every bucket I have, thank god I havent gotten into any coral yet, long story short I have all the water I was able to save in buckets stand outside drying off sump removed fans on carpet tried to shop vac up as much water as I could all 3 fish and eel and my few snails are in a bucket with a heater, PLEASE help what am I forgetting!!!!

Btw if any one lives in LAS VEgas and has a carpet cleaner anything like that plz PM me!!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sounds like your quick thinking is keeping everything under control.

A concern might be a heater too close to the wall on a plastic bucket, but you probably thought of that.

Air, pump, tubing and an air stone.

Put some LR in the bucket if you can, to help with conversion of ammonia.

Have some Prime and made up salt mix.

Upgrade time I guess.

1 person likes this.
  5. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Awesome thank your Corailline I had planned on throwing in a little bit of live rock for more of a hiding place but that def makes sense oh and I am tearing all my drawers up looking for my old air pump so far no luck, do you really think I need to protect the bucket from the 50w heater?? I was thinking if it gets to hot for the bucket I would have bigger problems than the bucket.... Oh yeah and this was supposed to be my upgrade from my 55 gallon tank, I have actually been uploading tons of pictures of the whole process to start a build thread.... If I decide to get another tank with I'm not to sure but I think I will I guess I get to start a whole new thread... BTW Karma+++ for youyr late night help

6. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Horrible thing to have to experiance. I wish you luck -

7. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

I just moved from Vegas or i would help...jump on LVVR, las Vegas valley reefers and start a post! A bunch of good dudes on there that can and will help u...

8. Click Here!

9. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

Where did u get the tank BTW, I would be up some one @$$, cora put it all out there heater air stone and LR, ur biggest prob here is water damage. If ur house has room under it drill a hole where the water has settled most and let it drain under the house. Try and clean up ALL WATER next to the walls first, I can almost guarantee u will have MOLD behind ur walls, IMO you should have a crew come out and inspect the damage, a local reefer here in LA just had the same issue, he thought he cleaned it all up and was good, he decided to have a crew come out to inspect if there was any damage and he ended up with $9000.00 in damages, he had to do a insurance claim...

With you just starting out I would be more concern with mold/damage. Mold can cause major health problems..
    In you want you can take your fish to BRA (blue reef aquatics) and have Greg hotel ur fish for u or Wayne at Tropical Fish off of 95/lake mead will hotel them too...

1 person likes this.
  10. BoBo65

BoBo65 Torch Coral

Thanks gsxr I appreciate the advice. I remember seeing you in this forum and on the LVVR, yeah the water damage is the main thing im concerned about as well. I actually rent out the guest house from my parents, we had already discussed ripping out all of the carpet before this event so maybe now is the time!

Oh and as bad as everything is it could have turned out alot worse, my GF and I were watching Rise of the Apes and right when the apes all broke out is when my tank busted it was extremely creepy timing!! I had just fully switched everything over so my old 55 gallon was literally just outside in the courtyard we ran got that and threw it below the tank which caught alot of water, I was then able to grab all the buckets while I had my mag 7 pumping water into containers, the way the tank broke almost all of the water flew away from the walls which is a good thing i guess. Here is a pic of the mayhem once the tank was drained
    BTW thanks for your input karma+
    Before

[​IMG]
    AFTER!!!
    [​IMG]

11. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

Well if your going to keep them in a temp setup for long here is what I would do.

1. Setup a heater
    2. Add an air stone (with pump obviously)
    3. Add something that is rich in nitrifying bacteria from the tank (sponge, filter media, etc)
    4. Put them in as big a "container" as possible. Think rubber made.

Once you have them setup keep in mind your biggest concerns are :

1. Temp - Make sure your fish dont get to hot or cold.
    2. Biological (bacteria) - Nothing wrong with keeping them in a temp holding tank for a while, just make sure you don't kill them by letting it cycle. You can even add a bit of your systems rock, everything in the original tank is covered in bacteria. The more the better. (Dont mess with ur sand bed, you will most likely poison the temp tank)
    3. Water chemistry. - Check your levels regularly.

Where do you live? If I am close to you - I wouldn't mind helping out if needed.

GOOD LUCK

12. janderson2k

janderson2k Flamingo Tongue

just noticed you wrote where your at, im in NY. Sorry