Tank "Background"

Discussion in 'I made this!' started by omard, Jan 24, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Do not see thread addressing this topic posted so far -

But having thoughts of what to do about "background" for new tank.

Have had paper/plastic types in past - usually wind up looking crappy or cheap over time.

Painting another option.

Wondering what others here have done (?)

Here is a good link I found on web some time ago and had tucked away in my "notes" - has some good "Warnings" & "Pointers" about painting tank.

Re: PAINTING THE BACK OF AN AQUARIUM

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.9803/msg00113.html

Any additional thoughts/"ideas" (??)

Rgds,

OmarD
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I spray paint all mine that aren't reef backed (another can-o-worms that will be discussed when I can upload photos for you all to see). I use a dark blue (I believe its "ocean" or "sky" blue) and do several coats. Then I glue a 1/2 thick piece of skinned styrofoam to the back with contact cement. Make sure the paint is hard and cured prior to glueing.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Good one...
    Ever seen the guys doing foam? That blows me away!

5. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Yah, its fun to Matt, playing with foam that is.  Thats basicly what I was talking about, it is a form of reef backing.  I like playing with rock, epoxy, cement and sand as well.  A company I used to work for ( www.advancedtidalsystems.com ) reef backed every tank they did, talk about cool tanks!!!  I mean, they even did this custom reef backed nano series. 5g acrylic cubes with a powder coated stainless steel 1 piece canopy & stand(3") with hidden pumps/filtration.  36watts of 50/50 pc .  These units are so freaking cool its not even funny.  To bad I don't work for them any longer, I'd love one of those tanks.  Ah, but back to reef backing.  I'll show you an example sunday Matt, of my first reef backed tank ever.  I used cement, lace rock and some dead corals I found on vacation.  Its 3 sided backed with the entire overflow hidden.  Since its only a 20g high(24" tall) I thought I'd use it for an angler tank.  I've always wanted one and this tank has been curing for 3 years now, I think it's time!!!!

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

GREAT FOOD FOR THOUGHT!

Am tending to recoil from idea of painting glass..sounds so "permanent" and without any particular painting skills, kind of plain.

As this is something I (and my fish) are going to have to look and live with for a long time to come ( "Insha 'allah" ) - would like to be a little more "natural" looking then just a plain single colored background.

Something with "depth"/"texture" (?) and blends in nicely with rest of reef environment..

You guys have gotten the "mill grinding" - am on a "search"

Post pics please Mr. G.

Thanks,

OmarD :)

PS: ( "Insha 'allah" ) - arabic for "God Willing"

7. CG

CG Bristle Worm

is it a good idea to have some sort of backround?

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

@CG, re: "is it a good idea to have some sort of backround? "

I suspect it is mostly a matter of personal preference..

Keeps my critters from looking like they are floating around in space and also gives them some visual definition when one has light walls.

Guess it really does not matter if your rock covers entire back.

Link I provided earlier mentioned possible "benifits of added temperature stability and additional shock protection (depends much on what you use I suppose)..

Have not made any decision yet, just looking at as many options as I can come up with.

FWIW

OmarD

10. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I thought about doing this also. I know what you mean by the paper ones. I just haven't been in the mood(lazy) to drain mine so I can move it to get to the back of it!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

11. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Here is thought & is what I am going to try..(came up with looking/wandering about Home Depot)

Vinyl Floor tiles! - The come in wide variety of colors, textures, styles - Cheap (less the 1$ ea.) -

Not nearly as messy as painting, or some of the other options, or as "permanent" if you want to change later..

Just use them in "reverse" (sticky side out) - Plain "Goop" glue (dries clear) fastened them nicely to back of tank. It should hold them on securely and would be easy to pull them off if I wanted to someday.

They are perfect size also (1/1 foot) but easy to trim if needed.

I think the ones that do not have simulated "edges" would look better (fit "seamlessly" together without the artificial "tile" edge seam) - they don't look like "tiles" when fitted together.

I chose a kind of dark blue/green "marble" color/texture - and it looks great! - took about 10 minutes to do & no mess/fuss. Any algae growing on tank back would fit right in colors.

Will post pic's when tank/stand done.

OmarD

12. Black_Raven

Black_Raven Scooter Blennie

I went to the local glass shop and had a mirror cut to fit the back of my tank. I have used mirrors for years. Great for reef tanks because it reflects light back into the tank The mirror for my 120 gal cost $60.