Tangs injured eye.. help

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by DoorBoy, May 2, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

I have a powder brown tang.. and when he was in a QT tank he got injured by another tank mate which was a yellow tang.. his eye started with a cut on it and then got all puffy and looks like there is a gaint bubble on his eye..

I have been giving him time to heal, yesterday it looked a lot better and then today it is all swollen again.. It is not in both eyes and i dont think its pop eye due to this fact and that i know for a fact it was from an injury.

The eye it self seems to have vision still and he does move it.. it looks like just the skin over the eye is deteriorating of can be pulled off..

Any advice on if i should just let it be and if you think it will fix it self or what i can do to help the little fella.

2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

actually popeye is generally due to an infection whether it be from an injury or not. My guess would be that the injury is infected and the bacterial gases are what's causing the swelling on the eye. I would treat as popeye

4. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

doesnt pop eye effect both eyes? this has been this way for around for awhile and has not done anything to the other eye

5. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

nope sure doesn't. Seen it several times.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

it may if a weakened immunes system is what caused it, but even then usually one eye is worse then the other.

but what caused the bacteria to gain hold wasnt a weaken immune system but a whole in the skin(skin is not just holding your blood in, its for protection from pathogens)

treat it as popeye like said above, the base problem is the same bacteria infection of the eye.

7. DoorBoy

DoorBoy Bristle Worm

it says treat with Penicillin or amoxicillin where can i get these drugs and how do i add them? Can i add them into the water .. what if corals and inverts are in tank? do i QT again?

8. Click Here!

9. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

you get them from a petstore or online(just like every thing else you get for your tank;)).

there just antibiotics, they want harm anything except bacteria in your tank, but it would be best to qt if you can to avoid any impact on good bacteria.

edit: also im sure you could get them at a pharmacy but those wont come with dosing instructions, so by the ones that are sold for fish

10. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I wish I knew which thread it was on but was reading on here that meds like this do not affect the good bactera that our nitrogen cycle uses.