Urgent Tangs have ICH

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Siddique, Nov 19, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Hey all,
    I just got home today to find that all of my tangs have ich. I plan to just use garlic and let them fight it off. I think if I try to catch them out to place them in QT with either hypo-salinity, copper or formalin would be too stressful and make matters worse. Is proper nutrition the first step to take or should I hospitalize?

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I have no experience personally, Siddique--and I'm sorry to hear about your problem. What I've come to understand from reading the posts of others; is that if it's not an immediate emergency (i.e. they don't look like they're about to die in short order), it might be wisest to treat them well, feed if they're eating, and do your best not to stress them out. If they're eating and in decent health they might fight it off naturally and turn the corner without intervention.

You might consider preparing some water for another tank if treating with chemicals becomes a necessity.

Good luck.

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

as long as they are still eating let them be soak their food in garlic and vitamins if possible

5. evojoe67

evojoe67 Aiptasia Anemone

Get a cleaner wrasse.

6. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I personally when each of my tangs got ick used the proper nutrition with the help of my shrimp/neon gobies to take care of the parasites off them, along with Kordon ick attack and api melafix. Within a week all cleared up. I didnt QT them because they all still ate like pigs when contacting the disease. And they pretty much naturally got through it.

My achilles did have to go through a FW bath, however to make it Less stressfull, I used 75% FW, and 25% water from the tank to help so it wasnt a huge stress ordeal with him.

But as others would say QT'ing and letting the DT fallow for 3 months is the only reall way to get rid of it.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I don't have tangs, but my tank had a small outbreak of ich a few weeks back where two of my fish were affected. I just fed them well and kept the water parameters up and they pulled through fine in about 5 days. Good luck!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

I cannot get access to selcon at all. I can order it online but it wouldn't reach Trinidad till about 2 weeks from now. They are all eating very well. A friend of mine had an ich outbreak a couple weeks ago. He didn't do anything special just fed heavily. Tomorrow morning I will soak the nori and spectrum in garlic and feed. I fed with spectrum soaked in garlic when I got home and they all ate it. I also added kent garlic extreme to the tank at 1 drop to 10 gallons. My next step is melafix and vigorous water changes.
    I'm about to have a nervous breakdown people. These fish cannot die on me.
    I would also love to get my hands on a cleaner wrasse but can't find any available here:cry:

1 person likes this.
  10. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Best of wishes for you, Hopefully Yours can pull through as did mine!

+k for good luck :D.

11. Siddique

Siddique Dragon Wrasse

Man, I hope they do, i'm wishing and praying that tomorrow morning I look at the fish and see no signs of this parasite. Should I get a UV sterilizer tomorrow?

12. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I have a turbo twist UV... hooked up to my one canister filter that I run in the tank... Ever since I added that thing, Its been golden. I run it maybe a few days a week and I've noticed a great deal of health changes in my fish! (All for the good)

Not a bad investment in my mind.