Tangs and sea weed sheets

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Ultraner, Nov 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ultraner

Ultraner Purple Spiny Lobster

Any tips on how to get a new sail fin tang to eat off of sea weed sheets. I have placed 2 pieces in over the last 3 days and not sure its getting much interest. I'm not really worried about it starving atm because it does nip at the rock a good bit during the day, and eats bits and pieces of rods when I feed that. Just kinda wondering if there is a trick to it?

2. Click Here!

3. kookie_guy

kookie_guy Spaghetti Worm

I just put mine in the clip onto the glass and my yellow tang goes to town. So I don't do anything special.

4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

same hear, although recently i bought some sheets that are dipped in garlic. Which made my clown hit on them to.

5. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

I really dont have a problem either. Have you tried putting garlic on the sheet? I tear a piece off put garlic guard on it and let it soak in for a couple of minutes. take an eye dropper and put 5-6 drops of garlic in the tank and then put the sheet onthe clip. My fish act like they havent eaten in a week.

6. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

I have experienced some tangs being skittish when they aren't used to algae sheets.

Give it time, they'll figure it out.

7. Ultraner

Haven't tried garlic yet, might just have to give that a go. Id love to get that kinda response to it.

8. Click Here!

9. Ultraner

Yeah the Tang is quite new to the tank and I do wonder if the motion of it and the clip kinda scare it a bit. Maybe it'll come around to it eventually. Think I might give the garlic ago to maybe help get them used to it.

10. ReefDaily

ReefDaily Skunk Shrimp

Garlic really helps attract fish, so try it.

If that doesn't work, trying getting a piece of live rock that you can put in and out of the tank, and rubber-band the algae sheet to it. Maybe you'll trick him into thinking hes grazing off the rocks.

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

yea.. i think my tang didnt even know it was edible until he tried to nip at it for a day or two. then he seemed to smell it even before it was on the tank.;D

12. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

The garlic can help. Also, you can try sticking the pieces of the sheet actually in your rock structure. It may take to that is it is a more natural grazing situation, then start taking to the clip after it figures out it's food ;)