Tangs and Carrots

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Robman, Jul 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I have read on a few web sites that Tangs can be fed carrots. Mine eat every type of lettuce, broccoli, nori. I was thinking about trying a baby carrot attached to a rock, like I do broccoli. Just wanted some feedback from the pros first.

2. Click Here!

3. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Now you got me curious too....

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I've tried carrots before and mine didn't eat them.
    Doesn't mean yours won't.

5. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Just wanted to make sure there isn't any threat to their digestive system or anything like that.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

why would you want to feed your tangs terrestrial vegetables??? It would probably be very little nutrition to the fish so you are just polluting your tank for the simple enjoyment of watching the fish eat carrots. Just think about it.

7. Elebriend

Elebriend Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

+1 to the above. Different animal, different requirments, different foods.

8. Click Here!

9. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Polluting???? are you serious??? I guess broccoli, lettuce, nori, zuchini, etc. pollutes the tank too. Do you have anything that backs up this statement or is that just your opinion. I know Packleader feeds his Tangs broccoli. Is he also polluting his tank for his enjoyment??? Please dont comment if you dont have any facts to back up your statement. Too much of that going on here lately!

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

I've read from a few sources I trust on this forum that broccoli is great food for tangs. Remember, whether it comes from the land or sea--plant matter contains many of the same nutrients. And Daniel, if "terrestrial food" is just polluting the tank, then garlic would be a big no no too, yes?

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

whoa dude!!! calm down man! I didn't answer your thread for you to start flaming me. Scientific evidence?? Nah! I don't have any. I'm pretty sure that a forum is a place to share your experience and that's what I'm doing. I've kept tangs for a few years now and they have done very well on nori, which is what they eat in the wild in some form or another. All I'm trying to say. My purple tang had a massive case of hole in the head and I treated that with heavy nory feedings. I look at it this way. Their natural food is available to us so why not use it. We feed our dogs food formulated for dogs, cats the same, and so forth. Why not our fish.

12. Fujin

Fujin Feather Duster

My Tang likes Bacon personally....

1 person likes this.