Tang stung by sun coral. Please help

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by eddie2OOO, Nov 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddie2OOO

eddie2OOO Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have a sick yellow Hawaiian tang that I've been trying to cure for the past 4 days. He was getting better until yesterday when I got back home and he was laying on sun coral without movement. I touched him thinking he was dead. He woke up but his tail was stiff. He found a safe harbor between glass and rock. This morning he is not moving at all, his side and tail (part thst was on sun coral) is turning brown, but I see that he is alive as his gills are still moving. Anything you can recommend to relieve paralyzing effect of sun coral?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

The sun coral did not kill that fish, it's dying from some type of malnutrition. I am guessing the fish has had some type of internal parasites for quite some time. Sorry to be the bearing of bad news and hopefully I am wrong but the appearance of the fish looks gaunt and malnourished. You should not be able to see internal structures and the eye should not be bulging in a healthy well feed tang. At this stage I do not see a timely intervention, hopefully someone will advice differently.

DSC reef likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I tend to agree on this one. What was he sick with prior to the sun coral?

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I agree. That tang has starved and doesn't look like a recovery is gonna happen. It takes time for a fish to starve and the coral had nothing to do with it. What have you been feeding the tang and how often? It's very important to know the diet

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm afraid I have to concur with what others have said, the fish looks starved and it was probably just very weak and happened to be laying on the sun coral not that the sun coral hurt it. The only thing I can advise is to try and get it to eat a varied diet (give it access to some nori) and some nutritious varied foods including pellets frozen varieties.

DSC reef likes this.