Tang skin is peeling off

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Caseyds7NY, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

The only reason I went with the medicine is because my little clown is on his side breathing very hard. I felt breaking the fungas (now thinking it's velvet) first. I don't think he will make it through the night.

If this is the case should I not dose tomorrow night and raise the temp about 1-2 degrees a day until I get to the high 80's?

2. Click Here!

3. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

Well... my little clown fish made it through the night but is still struggling. The big clown fish, who looked and acted health, died this morning. That makes it 2 fish that I lost in less then 24hrs. Not too happy right not.

I hope the little guy makes it.

4. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

That is to bad I am down to one clownfish as well. Most of mine died about 4 months ago and have yet to restock since my aquarium is still in the works. Sucks losing all that money and fish pets.

5. bus15sdriver

bus15sdriver Astrea Snail

So sorry to hear about your tang and clown.:cry: I have a clown with a spot on him right now. Its skin/scale colored. Did you decide to put them in the QT tank? I hope your other fish pull through.

6. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

The money loss isn't that bad. I think I spend $40 for the yellow eyed tang and the 2 clowns.

I am more upset that I couldn't save them because I wan't sure what was happening. I knew something was wrong, just didn't know what, that is why there is this thread. I think overall my tang had ich and velvet and the velvet passed over to my clowns.

I am heading home now for lunch to see how my little clown is doing. I hope is he still alive.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  7. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

Yes, I set up that QT 2 days ago but didn't put them in until yesterday. That velvet is really quick.

8. Click Here!

9. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

Well, my last clown has died at lunch. So in 24hrs I lost my tang and 2 clowns.

What do I do now going forward in my DT. Should I let it sit for a few months before I put a new fish in it so the ich and velvet die off? I have corals, inverts, and a goby left. Do I continue with my normal 5ga water changes every week now that I basically have no bio load?

This sucks!!!

10. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

Well you may still have a bioload depending on how many coral you have. As far as the water changes you can spread them out a little more now however remember that you will still need to supplement for you corals since you won't be introducing as much new supplements like you would with a water change.

As far as what to do with the Velvet I dont know on that one.

But some good news is that the ich has like no hosts now to spread the diesase so it should die off a good amount but will still be in your aquarium.

Maybe the best thing to do is just fix the Velvet and let it sit for a while and prolly start with a hardy fish when you do add fish again.

11. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

So as a "rough" time frame am I looking at not adding anything for 2, 3, 4 months?

Can I add a clam or corals in the meantime or should I just not add anything?

12. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

I am not to sure on a "safe" timeline to let the ich subside. And as far as coarl go I can't see a reason not to add some if you want not like any of these deisease can attack coral just make sure you supp for you new additions since you want to do less water changes.