Tang skin is peeling off

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Caseyds7NY, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's a silly notion that ich will spontaneously appear on fish when there's no ich parasites in the tank. Ich is a protozoan. If there isn't a single one of the protozoans in the tank, it cannot appear, period. QT and treatment on all additions to the tank, including corals, fish and anything wet, will keep ich out of the tank.

2. Click Here!

3. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

All that time effort and work and ich can still appear if it is dormanit on a fish and somehow gets past treatment if you think about all the time/money you put into trying to keep ich out you could just keep it at bay for a fraction of the cost with good aquarium practices.

4. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would think the battling with your Clowns have stressed the Tang out. IMO putting it in to a QT tank could stress it even more. Tangs diets should consist mainly of high levels of spirulina Algae. you can get this in many forms but the best is sheets of dried Algae. If he will not eat that they start with frozen or flake foods high in spirulina. this will greatly improve it's over all health. Mysis and bryne are really just candy and can cause fatty liver and other health concerns that will only promote Ick out breaks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  5. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

I know that you can't get rid of Ich by vacuuming alone but with 10% water changes a week, no overfeeding, and a stress free living I don't understand how the tang got ich. I had him for a couple of months and he just "caught" it, doesn't make sense. In theory if the ich "stuff" fall off the fish then in theory I should be able to control it with some good house cleaning right?

Also, my fish haven't eaten today, something is not good.:-/

6. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

yea i feed everything with a base of Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 it has spirulina in it and not to mention spirulina is good for people to.

ing: Euphasia pacifica plankton, wheat germ, squid, salmon fillets, tuna eggs, garlic, Euphasia superba plankton, marine algae, sea clams, kelp, wheat flour, Spirulina, adult brine shrimp, brine shrimp nauplii, soya-lecithin, MPAXTM (Marine Protein Amino eXtract: fish meals, select amino acids (DL-Arginine, L-Lysine, DL-Methionine, Betaïne, TL-Tryptophan)), vitamins (ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), biotin (Vitamin H), Vitamin B12, riboflavin (vitamin B2), thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), tocopherol acetate (vitamin E), panthotenic acid (Vitamin B5), menadione (Vitamin K3), folacin (Vitamin B9), cholicalciferol (Vitamin D3), niacin (Vitamin B3), retinol (Vitamin A1), pyridoxine (Vitamin B6)), minerals (potassium iodide, iron oxide, manganese sulfate, magnesium oxide, zinc sulfate), ethoxyquin, carotenoid pigments.

and for yourself check out odwalla superfood also very high in spirulina

7. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

So are you saying that I should be looking at food for the Tang that has spirulina in it?

8. Click Here!

9. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Ick is a parasite that live in all fish. It does not live long with out a host. No amount of vacuuming the sand will improve the chances of your fish getting Ick.
    What does cause ick is when a fish is stressed and the parasite has the ability to multiply and that is when you notice it on the fish. you can not get rid of Ick. It is always present. but keeping good water quality. Feeding well and ensuring the fish is in an environment that is not stressful. ie. no predator fish, Tank size is well suited etc.

10. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i am a fan of spirulina as a health food in general, for fish, for humans, dogs, whatever. its just good for you, so yes. but what you really want is a well rounded food such as the one i listed( that's why i listed ingredients)

11. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

I personally am not a fan of QT'ing tangs. They get stressed out very easily and if the fish is already stressed its gonna only worsen IMO (Unless being attacked by another fish and moving it somewhere where there is no hassle)...

With setting up a QT Tank now the Params have to be watched so it doesnt change fast with the tang in it and have it get hurt by the param swing.

Tangs like to dirty up tanks fast. Eat alot of foods and Make a mess! Trust me I have 7 Tangs. Getting him to eat Nori or a Flake or even Frozen high in Spirulina will help greatly. Try adding a garlic suppliment to the food... It may help attacked the fish to the food.

12. rktek

rktek Plankton

I had the same problem with my blue tang. It kept only eating the frozen brine shrimp. The algae sheet just sat there on the clip til I took it out due to no one eating it. I started mixing the flake foods high in spirulina into the container where I defrosted the brine cubes. They took to it. I did the same thing with the algae sheets. It didn't work as fast, but soon enough he ate it along with everyone else. Now everyone tears into the sheet algae when I put the clip in including the blue tang. Mine had ick as well. One of his eyes turned grey and had the white spots on his fins. He even started acting weird with swimming bursts for no reason. But now he's doing better. His eye is back to normal. A couple of white spots left though. He has a great appetite.
    Sorry about the long post. Just excited he's getting better without treatment.

1 person likes this.