Tang skin is peeling off

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Caseyds7NY, Jun 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

The title says it all. My Tang could have ich as I only see the white spots when my daylights go off. The clown kicked his butt for a day or so last week but has been friendly the last few nights. My tang has injuries on both fins, some good cuts on both sides of his body, and it looks as if he has A LOT of dry skin on his nose and forehead that is now peeling off. What is going on? Fungus?

Here is my plan.

I am starting up a 30g hospital tank as we speak.
    1)Should I still keep the salt at 1.025 as in my DT or should I lower it?
    2)DT is at 79 degrees, should my QT tank be the same?
    3)Is a power filter ok to use since I don't have any air stones? I know i will have to turn it off during dosing.
    4)When I acclimate him I was planning on putting him in a 5ga bucket and pour a couple of cups per hour from the QT for a few hours. Is this okay, I am sure this will stress him out.

I picked up some fungus medicine.

Should I move all my fish over to the QT tank or just the worse fish, ie the Tang?

My clowns are doing fine with no signs of anything.

Please let me know if I am heading in the right direction.

2. Click Here!

3. crappyballer

crappyballer Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i would look into Head and lateral line erosion.

4. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

Interesting. Well. There isn't much info out there about this but I will "treat" it as if it were.

I think I will continue with the QT for one reason, changing my tangs diet. My Tang loves shrimp and doesn't eat much algae or seaweed. Maybe if I change his diet and supplement with vitamin A & C he will be okay.

Any other ideas?

5. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

The QT sounds like the best idea have all your parameters checked out? Try to keep him eating that is important.

6. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

My water is great. I did have a mag spike from 1220 to 1440 in a week and I only dosed a 1tbs.

He eats shrimp like its his first meal in a week twice a day, but I think the problem is he is not eating seaweed and algae.

I am hoping someone on here has experience with this. I am hoping to take pictures tonight if he stands still for a sec :p

7. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

I would put the tang in QT tank asap. If he has white spots he likely has ich. If it had head and lateral it would be gaps (a hippo tang I had got it) and not look like the skin is peeling off.

8. Click Here!

9. Caseyds7NY

Caseyds7NY Fire Worm

He does have two scrapes/cuts/gaps on him and I am sure it is from the clown but the peeling is on the head, like after someone gets sunburn the skin dies...same look.

Thinking he has itch I did do a big WC this weekend concentrating on vacuming the sand. I might do one more by the weekend as there are not many white dots on him.

10. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

They'll keep spreading even if you vacume the sand. I wish getting rid of ich was that easy.lol

11. scott26

scott26 Ritteri Anemone

You can't get rid of Ich that is a silly notion though. You just need to learn how to control it by keep good water parameters and good water changes. As far as the skin peeling off I seem to recall one of my older tangs having that happen on the bridge of his nose a while back. After I started to feed him more of the green alage he grew his scales back and you couldn't even tell.

12. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

You could try a frozen food that also has seaweed in it to get him to eat his greens.