Tang Police - Questions

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Reefbuilder, Mar 6, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefbuilder

Reefbuilder Scooter Blennie

Okay so as many of you that have followed my build know I have multiple tanks and am in the process of putting in a 225. My plans would be to combine my fish all at once in the new tank - new rock work - homes etc.

So this is what I have
    In my 100 - I have a Achilles and a Scopus
    In my 60 - A juvenile Purple
    In my 75 A yellow eye Kole and a Juvenile Red Sea Desjardini
    I would also like to pick up a Blond Naso and get it into QT now (about 6 weeks or so away from move)

So what do you think - can they co exist in a large system together? The footprint on the 225 is 72 x 27 x 27

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I think you are looking for trouble. You most likely would have problems in a 600 gallon tank with that proposed grouping. You are adding one more tang to a bunch that are currently in 235 gallons of water in close to minimum sized tanks for the fish and 2 of the fish are juveniles.

Vinnyboombatz, DSC reef and Mr. Bill like this.
  4. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have 2 of the most peaceful tangs (kole and yellow) living together and always considered them nice and sweet fishes. This until I tried to add not even a tang, but a longnose butterfly in tank (similar shape / color with yellow tang) - then I saw the true nature of them. They are amazingly fast and aggressive - cutting the poor fish with spines and even biting (yellow tang get the longnose in his mouth and shake it like a pitbull) - after 2 minutes I was able to pull out the poor longnose half dead. I will never dare to add something similar looking or colored with my tangs in the tank.

In your case, purple tangs are usually very aggressive and the scopas is same shape with it -so will fight.
    Naso and sailfins are growing huge and probably not even one will be comfortable in your tank.
    The poor kole, even if is usually a bold fish will be the smallest guy in there and probably first to be bullied.

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

I usually tell people, 1 tang from each genus will be your best bet at a peaceful tank. That being said we see many more mixed tangs all the time. If it were me, I'd say Achilles, purple and yellow eye would be your safest bet. Potentially adding another one (scopus or sailfin) at the same time will increase your odds of success as opposed to waiting for a later date.

6. Reefbuilder

They will go in at a later date. I can always keep the kole in the 75. He has been in it since it's been up and doing well and I have a 120 that I will be upgrading that tank to.

They will all go in the 225 at the same time.

If I had to only go with 3 I would go
    Achilles - purple - sail fin.

I see so many tanks with mixed tangs.

DSC reef likes this.
  7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I like my tangs and I've always had them in tanks not suitable in size per say. The problem I see is when these actually hit maturity. Some of them are going to get huge! Once they start claiming territory and mature, anything you add to that tank will most likely be killed rather quickly not to mention battling eachother. My sohal for example. I kept him in my 125 since he was about 2.5 inches. 2 years later he was over 13 inches and an absolute killing machine. He was cool with the other guys that grew up with him but he ruled the tank and there was no one to challenge him. I think after some time is when you'll start seeing issues plus the waste they make is unreal.

8. Click Here!

9. Reefbuilder

I'm not concerned with the waste, my filtration system is more than sufficient. More concerned with the community. I am doing bare bottom with massive flow and a lot of shelves and caverns in the aqua scape

DSC reef likes this.
  10. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

^This.^

The problem I've seen over the years, species and size be damned, is that every fish has it's own personality, which, not unlike ourselves, can be affected by it's surroundings and cohabitants. If just one should become overly aggressive, you're going to have one hell of a fish tank brawl that won't end without death or human intervention. JM2C

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  11. greatwhitetang7

greatwhitetang7 Plankton

3 diff zebra soma sp. lose the purple tang and u may have a shot .. I've seen things in the years I've kept systems and while I can't condone doing it .. Other people have been successful with far worse .. If you are going to do it feed heavily and use lower light levels for a day or so and keep a close eye .. Good luck

12. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I 100% agree with 2in10. I recently had a sohal that was a terror to all my fish. The moment I got him out, well it jumped into my overflow, there was this calm about my tank that I never seen until he was gone. I replaced the sohal tang with a yellow and blue hippo tang, my fish are all doing great now.

Mr. Bill, Vinnyboombatz and DSC reef like this.