Tang playing dead?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ndtechie05, Mar 31, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

Why do Tangs like to play dead and freak me out? I'm familiar with them laying under rocks and what not but not laying flat on the sand bed not breathing...he was fed 2hrs earlier. So I thought he was dead...but this morning he is out and about swimming around. Any particular reason he may not have been under a rock? He was between the glass and a rock tho... Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

I'd never heard of them playing dead, but then I googled it - and it's very common! Quite a freaky thing for sure!

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

My YT did that every single night, you dont have to worry.

5. Sadie

Sadie Coral Banded Shrimp

wow, I never heard of a fish playing dead. I have seen those fainting sheep, that's funny. But my horses do that, they will lay totally flat in the sun, I call their name and nothing(usually they will whinny to me) They make me walk right up to them, sometimes I have to touch them before they move and it freaks me out every time!! Punks! that's all I can say;D

6. DARKHAVEN

DARKHAVEN Astrea Snail

Lol my blue hippo used to do the same thing everymorning id check the tank and shed be laying on the bottom first time i saw it i got the net to fish her out lol

7. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I have a yellow tang that does this, I think its instinctual survival or the like. Some times he lays on the sand for a few minutes and then ever so slowly wiggles himself under a rock ledge and hides. Of course as soon as any of us approach the tank he comes out and says hi .... quite the sociable little bugger actually.

8. Click Here!

9. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I have never had one do this in all my tangs... strange..

10. clarky2120

clarky2120 Bubble Tip Anemone

I think this is the best guess.

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's VERY common. I can't tell you how many times customers have come up and said something like your yellow tang is dead or all of your baby hippo tangs are dead. I will just tell them, "They're fine....watch". I would grab the food turkey baster and head over to the tank and they all snapped back to life.

12. ndtechie05

ndtechie05 Spaghetti Worm

I mean I've seen my tangs lay under rocks and what not before...that I know is normal. But I have never seen him laying down like he did last night...He's quite the character apparently...

-Brett