Tang in QT treat for ich without seeing ich?

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by Mobalized, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mobalized

Mobalized Teardrop Maxima Clam

With a new tang in QT which I am unable to see ich on (because of the color of the fish it is very difficult) I havent seen any ich present its self and plan to continue to watch but if I do not see any should I still give a short copper treatment prior to going into DT? The color of the fish makes me think I will miss the ich if it does present its self.

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Well I havent actually ever treated with copper in my experience. I have used Hypo salinity, as well as herbtana, on separate occasions with 100% success! So Your already taking a good step as its best to QT all new fish to avoid any future problems. I would try hypo salinity or hertana microbe lift first, either one, and watch the fish for about 4-6 weeks, thats usually best IMO

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not treat with copper unless you are going to do a full on treatment.

Parasites issue rarely respond to partial treatments. It's really not an issue of some is better than nothing when it comes to copper.

I imagine your display has the parasite present as do most displays so I can not see the advantage, unless you are introducing the tang into a system you are sure is completely free of the parasite.

QT seems appropriate if you have the means as you do.

Good Luck.

5. ReefPlayground

ReefPlayground 3reef Sponsor

I treat all the "ich magnet" tangs (ie: blues, powders, achilles, etc) that come into our showroom with a much milder med than copper. Praziquentel and metronidazole work wonders without stressing out the fish like copper can.

6. Mobalized

The DT that the fish is going into is currently fallow so yes I am sure the tank will not have the parasite present beyond a reasonable doubt. And I do suppose my term short treatment was not correct but just trying to establish whether I should be treating for ich whether it is seen or not. I will be treating with prazipro either way for other parasites

7. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

Its always good to treat, rather be safe the sorry!

8. Click Here!

9. Mobalized