Tang in a 65 gallon

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Even if you didn't have any rocks in the middle of the tank and had open swimming room from corner to corner, you would only have about 42". Most tangs need about 48"+ so it would still get cramped. Some of the smaller bristletooth tangs could fit in that situation, but I've found they can get destructive if cramped. It's your tank, but I would be very hesitant myself.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterBoy

TheSaltwaterBoy Flamingo Tongue

I would say either get a small yellow tang or hippo tang. They will be fine in a 65 gallon for a year if you get them small enough. I have a yellow tang and blue hippo in my 55 gallon, even though people dont recommend it, and i think they are fine until they reach around 5-6 inches and then i will upgrade my tank.

4. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, I scrapped the idea of getting a tang and instead got a foxface. The reef safe with caution on live aquaria concerns me a little but my LFS said thT the odds of getting one that pics at zoas is like 1 in a 1000. I hope he's right!

5. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, a foxface will do a much better job on nuisance algae and also is muh more chill. Tangs can be kind of hyper and twitchy IMO, so definitely would be my preference of the two :) Still a bit of a small tank for it, but your fish, your tank and they are cool fish....