Tang in a 65 gallon

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by texanjordan, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. texanjordan

texanjordan Peppermint Shrimp

I want to add a tang to my new 65 gallon. My livestock is in my signature. I will not be upgrading tanks, i just got the one i have. What sudgestions would you recommend? My LFS told me that i could add a powder blue tang, or a sailfin tang, or a yellow tang, because they are all small, and grow very slowly. BTY im probably going to be moving in about a year and will have to take all livestock back to LFS.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

i recommend 100 and above for most tangs; i dont think you should get it

4. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

None of those species will work, they get much too large. Even though you are bringing them back later, they need alot of swimming room and your tank can't provide that. The only tang that might work is a Kole Tang. How long is your tank though? If it is not at least 48in then do not get any species of tang.

5. texanjordan

tank is 36long 24 high 21 deep

6. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Why do you want a tang? Just want a larger fish? Is there a particular species you want?

7. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

I know it is tempting to get a tang, even if only for a short while when it is still small, but even the small ones love to dart around. Heck, I have a 48" tank, and sometimes wish it was a bit larger for them.

A larger risk than cruelty is the stress you will bring on the fish. We all know that tangs are particularily sensitive to ich and other diseases, and ristricting the room a fish has to swim will stress it, and a stressed fish is a bullseye for complications.

I know this is not what you want to hear, but think of it this way. When you move, you will have an opportunity to size up, and get a tang then!

8. Click Here!

9. texanjordan

I have always wanted a tang, but i can live with not getting one i will look into something else.

10. Dr. Reefenstein

Dr. Reefenstein Fire Shrimp

Don't let the police scare you.. If that is what you want and you get a small enough one, than go for it.. Just make sure you keep 'em well fed. It will not out grow your tank in a year..

11. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

Just save yourself the trouble and don't get one. When you move, get a 265g and get all the tangs you want. Have a school of yellow tangs or regal tangs if you want haha

12. Steve Goldsmith

Steve Goldsmith Fire Shrimp

IF you get a tang, I would go with a Kole Tang. That could probably work in a 65- the minimum on LA is 70.