Resolved Tang died durring copper treatment

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by link248, Apr 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Tang died last night, :cry:

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Sorry to hear that. Thats why i don't like treating with chemicals I have a tang in a 10 gal qt. I am treating him with the hyopsalinity method. Dropped the salinity down to 1.010 and am currently raising it to 1.025. It seems much healthier then before the treatment. I hope in two weeks it's back to normal.

Just my experience...if you decide to do another tang, I would suggest a qt tank, and using the above method. There are a lot of threads on 3reef to help explain better.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Sorry to hear this :-(

A fish showing, those spots I would have not put into QT. That would have been a fish I tired to feed instead. New fish probably, it was just related to acclimation and other stress. A fresh water bath or dip would have been too stressful as well. Once you stress the fish and re-introduce it back to a system with disease present the fish just becomes re-infected.

Now if you had a cycled larger QT it might have been a different story.

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

1 person likes this.
  5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I have had the tang for about 2 weeks now. My tank was changed over from a 29g to my 40 breeder about 2 months ago. I have read somewhere that tangs have a higher risk of getting ick. It was small and it's been at my LFS for about a month and a half. I don't think I will be getting another tang. Any suggestions of my replacement fish? I have 2 oc clowns, a hovens wrase and a diamond goby. I don't like fish that hide all of the time and it has to have color to it.

6. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'm in the same boat. As soon as my tang recovers I will be finding a new home. As for another fish, I am looking into a purple firefish.

7. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I like the red firefish better than the purple one, but good choice

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

I agree, especially as I can't positively identify ich from your picture. White spots are not always ich. If it is a prominent raised bump that is another story, but little spots could be a number of things. Unfortunately, people always think ich when they see some white spot. Probably explains a lot of the "miracle" cures. Feeding is a good place to start, a sick fish will tend not to eat IME.

10. jbraslins

jbraslins Teardrop Maxima Clam

Sorry bout your tang.

I feed all my fish in food soaked in selcon and garlic too. When i got my clown and introduced him to the tank, i noticed 4..5 dots of ich on him. 3 days later they were gone.

Not sure if selcon/garlic did it, just recounting my experience.

11. Kevin3884

Kevin3884 Tassled File Fish

Midas Blenny...they are majestic swimmers and also perch, and have great color