Tall sump ok? or problematic

Discussion in 'Fish Tank Brands and Kits' started by tooconceited, Sep 28, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

I have a 30G oceanic cube and would like to have a sump in the stand. I am having trouble finding a container that fits in the stand and still holds enough water. A standard 10g is too long even. The space is roughly 18" by 18". I wanted to do a rubbermaid sump but there is still the problem of size. I thought something made for a kitchen trash bin would fit. This of course would be taller than it is wide. Is this still ok? I mean if it were a 46 quart trash can it would be closer to two feet high. If i put the overflow deep into the can and the return pump high up can this still work? Does anyone know of inherent problems with a real tall sump? Thanks. I would really like to get my heater and skimmer out of my main tank as well as add some flow.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

I think it would be fine. Several reasons to have a sump are to move unsightly equipment to another area, (mission accomplished). Increase the volume of water in your reef, (mission accomplished). And to be able to have a larger water turnover.......... You are doing so with your odd sized sump. GOFORIT

Jim

4. szidls

szidls Feather Duster

Just be sure you can access all the equipment easily in your sump. If it's a pita to perform maintence you most likley will do less or have to change sump again.
    Best, Scott

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

The other important reason to have a sump is to increase the surface area in which bacteria can grow and be better able to handle increased bio-load.
    And also important, as mentioed above, is the ability to house skimmer/heater etc. out of view. Very crucial point, also mentioned above is the ease of cleaning/ getting to and working with your equipment in your sump under the tank.

6. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

you can cut a plastic container to any hight you want

7. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'd be careful with that as most of the rubber maid type stuff uses the top rim as a main frame of support. what size tank is the sump going to be use on ?

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Taller sump gives you more margin for error. That's good!

10. kb.bear

kb.bear Peppermint Shrimp

11. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

The sump is for my 30G cube. I ended up getting a 42 quart kitchen trash can. It seems real solid and fits under the stand. I guess thats about 10 gallons so I should have about 7 or 8 gallons in it when its running. Is it better to put the return pump up top? I don't understand the margin for error thing matt, you mean as far as water flowing back into the sump and possibly overflowing?