Taking the plunge?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JJL, Dec 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Oh, you'd probably want the 24" then, its 499$...
    Oh and the AI nano isn't gonna cover that real well...

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Ughhh...I guess the AI SOL would be my best bet then?
    I suppose I can shell out $400 for a very well reviewed light.
    Are there any other options for $400 or less that I am missing?

4. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I would really rather not get a custom build. I feel like they are too risky and not really proven as much as a fixture such as the AI.

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Thats just another OEM fixture...It works, but for that price its no AI...
    A black AI sol hung high above your tank with an acrylic cap above the filter housing seem like it would look the best.

7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Why? Seems like tons of people are happy with their DIY systems and custom builds! If it uses the same basic equipment, as what fixtures are using, why not save the cash and get something that is designed for your specific situation!

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

You really seem to be pushing this quite a bit...The OP doesn't want to, they don't want to. Making a sales pitch ain't gonna help.

10. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

Something like this maybe? But instead panorama modules? Looks like a good way to attach them, but some modding of the hood will be involved...
    Red Sea Max LED Conversion
    EDIT: Actually it looks like all you do is screw into the T5 holes, no drilling of hood required!

11. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Why? Because I'm learning too! I'm curious what they're afraid about/what they heard so i know what to look for! sorry for sounding like a sales push, i just know how confused i got with all the different opinions! And i feel good about what i did! But if they have read something that gives them caution towards it, i'd like to know! Sorry! Just really curious why they're so adamant about a company prefab fixture and so against a DIY or custom build!? Like I said, i'm learning to! Looking at getting a nano system for my kitchen counter top and looking into the same things he is!

12. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

Thanks fr the link, panfish! Very interesting, but i think doing that would just leave too much room for error :-/. I also dont really like the large amount of wires that would be all over the tank. I guess your correct in saying the ai sol black is my best option. The price it took him to do that was also 500+ usd which would be over my price range. Thanks again and i am open to any other suggestions!