Taking the plunge?

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by JJL, Dec 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

When I was still looking, i went to their website and sent them an email! A guy called back a few days later and answered my questions and told me what they recommended for my tank! I liked the concept but it was gonna cost me about $1000! Too much for my budget, but they were nice and helpful!

2. Click Here!

3. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

But you have a 55. Im sure I would need much less than you.

4. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

We already went over this JJL remember? You can't drill in the hood so how are you going to hang them? ;)
    Also, the RGB really is pointless for reefing IMO, just window dressing. I wouldn't do multiple ones, maybe just 1, and a blue/white.

5. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

I know, I know, I know lol.
    I was thinking velcro?
    There just isnt that many lighting options for the RSM.
    If I take the hood off I just dont know if it will look good.
    With the hood off it will reveal all of the pumps and everything in the back.
    Any other ideas then?
    LOL its not easy to decide :-/

6. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

I'm pretty sure velcro ain't gonna cut it...Like I said before, I think they have a heatsink on the back (not sure about the new ones?) Why not the Panorama 17.5" Fixture, that could cover the tank enough that it would still keep from seeing the pumps...

7. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

$600 is definately more than I am looking to spend.
    Do you think 2 pieces of tinted black plastic glued together would work? Like if I glued them in a semi rectangular shape I think it would fully cover the back chamber.
    What do you think?

8. Click Here!

9. thepanfish

thepanfish Flying Squid

The new one will be 399$, its not out yet though....http://reefbuilders.com/2011/09/09/panorama-fixture-ecoxotic/
    What are the Dim's on your RSM?
    That sounds good, although black acrylic would look better..

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Oh yeah, you'll def need less! I was just stating why i didn't end up with them so you didn't think it was really a negative thing! Other than the cost, the guy i talked to was great and actually seemed to know what he was talking about! instead of the robo answers you get from some!

11. JJL

JJL Purple Tang

oooohhh, much better price on that one. I maed a quick search on google and there is an RSM where someone had HQI lighting and the used black acrylic to cover the back. It actually looked pretty nice.
    Dims are 24 x 20 x 23.8".

12. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

Sounds like ya need a custom build! Whether DIY or not! Can you shoot a pic without the hood on it so we can see what you want to hide?