Taking frags on planes?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Matt Rogers, Oct 14, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

So my favorite trade show is coming up: Reef-A-Palooza...

I am flying down for this...

my question is... can I bring frags back on the plane? Is this legal? I am staying within the state of California if that matters...

matt

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I don't know...when I flew out of LAX last year, it was a huge hassle for me to bring a small bamboo plant with me. Depends on which "I hate my lot in life" employee you run into at security. ;D

4. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I read about an article about a guy who wrapped frags in wet paper towel put them in ziplocs and carried them on. Sorry I don't remember him talking about the legality of it.

5. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I don't know about the legality, but one issue to consider is the X-Ray scanning for carry-on items. Would that be safe for the corals?

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Well...I was thinking of it, i mean..YOu could put them in your suitcase in a secure bag or something.

7. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

It seems as long as there's no liquid and the corals are legally traded in the US, then TSA shouldn't mind. Wet paper towel might do the trick.

8. Click Here!

9. jkuja913

jkuja913 Spaghetti Worm

They wont work for a carry on, your restricted to a tiny amount of fluid. I would also be worried about checking them because the baggage areas aren't as pressurized as the cabin so that could pose a problem. Why not just buy the coral, and ship it home right before you leave?

10. mirandacollc

mirandacollc Flame Angel

They ship corals all over the world in the cargo areas. I actually shipped a few fish from hawaii to maine at 22 hrs with corals in the cargo area just fine. You could ship the to yourself like mentioned or find a flight that allows pets and box them and have them go along with the pet area.

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I had a friend box frags up like he was shipping tbem and put them in his checkin luggage. The corals and clam were just fine when he got home.

Just keep your mouth shut and you will be fine.

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

I believe there is a live animal clause for commercial passenger transport. I am a pilot but not practicing (dont want to drive planes when i can kick people for a living) but that was 2000-2005 so I don't know what kind of bullcrap there is now. I would contact the FAA and TSA and talk to people about the documentation you might need. I don't think legal issues arise since all those trade shows are hounded by parks and rec!