T8 Flourescent Bulb good enough for Coral?

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by HollyG, Jun 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

My aquarium is actually meant for a freshwater set up so my light fixture is just a regular fixture for T12 or T8 flourescent bulbs. So I went out and got a Power Glo bulb which is pretty much a 50/50. It said on the packaging that it promotes invertabrate and coral growth with high intentsity lighting. I only have one piece of coral, a frag of star polyps but I want to get other nicer corals. Will the bulb I have cut it or do I need a new fixture and bulb?I don't have a lot of money at the moment to spend $200 on a saltwater lighting fixture, so will what I have be ok for corals that need a lot of light?

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

No, your current bulb will not be enough to keep corals that need a lot of light, let alone most that need medium light. Your GSP should be fine, but will not grow to its full potential. Do not believe anything you read on the packaging of products. It is all about marketing.

4. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

maybe get some non photosynthetic corals, and take care of them while you save for some decent lights.. you cant do much except watch stuff wither away without lights.

5. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

thanks a lot... I will definately save up in time and get some better bulbs.