T5 vs led

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by CountryBoy72, Jan 13, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Well the Ecotech Radion would be awfully expensive for a tank of that size that was going to mostly FOWLR and then later have softies or easy corals. You would need two fixtures aka $1600. For that alone i would go with a different LED brand or the T5 fixture.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Well, you'll save more money up front with the T-5s. You'll have a lot of bulbs to replace though, which would be my main hesitation. Also, the Radions are a lot more controllable, but it is very pricey. It will take a long time to pay off two Radions with bulb and electricity savings. For the corals your thinking about, I think a decent 4 bulb T-5 fixture would be fine though, even on a tank that tall. You would just need to put the more light demanding corals up top.

5. CountryBoy72

CountryBoy72 Astrea Snail

Four T5's would be enough, or would a six bulb be better ?ATI Powermodule HO T5 Fixture. This sounds like a really good fixture, the cost is the same as one Ecotech

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  6. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

4 bulbs will be enough for softies and lower light demanding corals. 6 bulb would be better for more light demanding corals.

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

A 4 bulb ATI Powermodule will work great. 6 bulbs would be overkill. Do keep your SPS underneath the reflectors if they are Acroporas though.

8. Click Here!

9. mightyrae

mightyrae Spaghetti Worm

The Ecotech would be overkill in this situation. The one thing you will not get between the 2 is the shimmer effect if you go T5. If that is not an issue for you I would go T5. Also you cannot control the light color/spectrum/intensity with the T5.

For what you are trying to do I would go T5. If the hope is that you will want the versatility to change your set up as far as tank content then go with the Ecotech.

As others have mentioned you will be missing some features but for the most part sounds like the T5 is the way to go. As far as bulb replacement for the T5's...You will probably buy a new fixture before you see cost equaling out.

If you are the type that looks back on purchase with buyers remorse go with the Ecotech. Not sure if you can get a better fixture today.

Hope this helps! :)